Never is a Long Time…In Dog Years

Posted on 03/01/15 102 Comments

Four years ago I went through an emotional roller coaster when I decided to breed Feature. It wasn’t just pulling her out of competition for months, or worrying about the potential health risks during a pregnancy or all of the work that goes into raising a singleton.

It was a combination of all of the above.

Even though the breeding resulted in my amazing, talented and handsome dog “Swagger”, when I was asked if I would ever breed her again, I confidently said “NO WAY!” It was w-a-y to stressful for me!

Well here I am four years and one month later to share with you all that the old adage “never say never” is a good one.

As Feature is once again a mother and Swagger now has seven…yes that is correct seven new (half) siblings. And I am in love with each and everyone of them.

group

As I said that last time I bred Feature, I do not want to be a breeder. There is so much to know, it is a such an investment of your time to do it properly. Then why did I do what I said I would “never do again”? I did it because I just adore Feature and to keep her line going here in North American I had to have another litter.

It just so happens that the sire of this litter is also a very special dog… and not just because he is handsome and athletic :). He is also a half brother to my special girlie “Encore” AND grandson to John’s past dog “Quid” AND back in his pedigree are all four grandparents from my very first talented Border Collie “Stoni!”

Since the baby daddy is a black & white dog the litter produced 4 reds and 3 blacks. We have 2 red females, 2 blacks females, 2 red males and 1 black male. A lovely collection and assortment. I decided the theme of this litter was going to be talented Canadian athletes.

The girls are:

1. JJ
  2. Sinclair
  3. Genie (aka “Devlyn”…she already has a nickname…long story!).
  4. Wicken

The boys are:

1. Bobby
  2. Elvis
  3. Wiggins

Can you name the person and the sport each of these puppies are named after? I will give you a hint each puppy represents a different sport!

I am excited to see these 7 special souls grow up. I am excited to be keeping one of them for my very own and I am excited for the new twists I will be putting on my puppy training! Yep, “Puppy Peaks” is about to get just a little more interesting :).

collage

Today I am so grateful for the safe and relatively easy delivery of a healthy and thriving litter of puppies and a happy and healthy mama dog. Happy to report Feature is now being a champion mother. 🙂

*Addition note: For those who have been asking. Here is a video of the “baby daddy” two year old “Sense” running at a UKI trial. Sense is pretty new to trialling in agility as his owner is a very busy lady studying to be a chiropractor and getting ready for her wedding but what an amazing team they make! Love him.

1. Sam Ivy says:
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 3:54pm

What a gorgeous litter! I love that you got such a fantastic mix of colors. It is great that you are going to keep one as well. I am not familiar with Canadian athletes, so I cannot even hope to guess. Do you know which one you are planning to keep yet?

2. Kristi R says:
    Monday, March 23, 2015 at 11:24am

A whole litter of “Puppy Peaks” — Does that make a “Puppy Range”? What joy!

3. shelley says:
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 10:10pm

Congratulations to you all!! Love to everyone x

4. Barb says:
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 8:03am

Very excited for you…and thankfully renewed PP’s…wouldn’t want to be without it!
    I am a one litter person…the circumstances were just right but I can relate to the worry, etc. We had 9 very
    healthy pups in 09 and I kept the 9th puppy! So glad for you that you have 7 very lucky pups indeed! I will never forget the experience, as I am sure you never will either. Enjoy every minute!

5. Gail says:
    Monday, March 2, 2015 at 8:01pm

Congratulations on a beautiful litter! March 1 is my birthday too! Great day to be born! Looking forward to seeing these puppies develop!

6. Gail says:
    Monday, March 2, 2015 at 8:00pm

7. Jess says:
    Monday, March 2, 2015 at 5:43pm

They are gorgeous, though yet to find a dog that’s not beautiful they are all so perfect in their own way. If any of them want a home in England we’d have one! Although I’m sure you have fab homes planned already can’t wait to see your training with the newbie x

8. Alaska says:
    Monday, March 2, 2015 at 1:39pm

Okay, now I want to rejoin Puppy Peaks 🙂

Seriously, I hope you will continue the tradition with “Puppy 2015”, as I’m sure your next round of puppy-raising will provide new insights for all of us.

9. Kristin says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 10:32pm

Not being from Canada, I have loved learning about the different athletes! Plus, the puppies are adorable!!! I have to say after just a couple of months on H360 I have fallen in love with Feature as well. I was even thinking I might name my next girl dog Pete because I love when you call her that! (of course, I think that is what you are calling her – at first I thought I was hearing you wrong, but it sure sounds like that)!

Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 10:46pm

🙂 I call her “P” or sometimes “Peach”…comes from calling her “Featchy Peachy” 🙂 I wish everyone could own a “P” love her like crazy!

10. Ronna says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 8:01pm

CONGRATS!!!I agree it is a huge responsibility to have a litter…but there is nothing like raising one of your OWN to the top….my first litter baby boy becane the oldest Min Pin to earn a GCH aat the ripe YOUNG age of 12!!!! He also hunted and retrieved…grouse and dove. He is still my dear abay boy, and I hope his daughter will be able to continue his legacy.
    Now you get to further your legacy!!! EXCITING!!!

11. Barb Warren says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:07pm

Congratulations on a beautiful looking group of puppies and a healthy happy momma ! Have fun watching them grow and explore their new world.

12. Marlane says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 5:45pm

Oh Sweet Lord!

Congratulations, and bless our sweet wonderful beautiful girl Feature!

Susan you are an “amazing” human definitely full of surprises and full of life…….look forward to following more successes and adventures.

13. Penny W says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 5:14pm

How exciting…a Special time, a time to cherish and be thankful for

14. Darian says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 4:34pm

Awwww! So cute!! And the nickname “devlyn” isn’t from the movie “just go with it” is it? Lol

15. Tonya says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 3:42pm

Beautiful! i do t know how you will pick one. Does Swagger like boys or girls as playmates better? More Puppy Peak material on the way. Enjoy those babies and don’t squeeze them too hard.

16. Marilyn says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 3:31pm

Just lovely!! I for one cannot WAIT for Puppy Peaks 2.0!
    Watching newborn puppies with their mom is a meditation – peaceful and inspiring.

17. Zoey says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 3:03pm

Nothing more beautiful than the beginning of life! So happy that Feature and the pups are all doing well. Enjoy and have fun!

18. Jan F says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 2:46pm

Aaaaw. They’re all gorgeous! Can’t wait to see the new member of the family on Puppy Peaks 🙂

19. Marion says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 2:44pm

How exciting, 7 new babies:) I am so excited about seeing them on Puppy Peaks, Susan!!!

20. Suzanne says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 2:25pm

Congratulations!

21. Annette says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:39pm

Congratulation to you and John, Feature for this lovely litter of puppies. You will have so much fun with them. Enjoy your new journey as we only have them for 8 weeks….. And I agree we should never say never as the laws of attraction always comes back to us…..!

22. Michele Godlevski says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:19pm

Congratulations! Looks like it will be a wonderful litter of brilliant pups!

23. Jutta says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:19pm

Congratulation to this wonderful litter

24. Rebecca Jernigna says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:02pm

Congratulations!!!Looks like a beautiful group!
    As for the names- please, please, please tell me you’ve read Ender’s Game! Ender Wiggin is an amazing character and the book is great, though I think the first book is also the best. Might be worth a trip to the library if you have a pup named Wiggins:) Or I suppose you could watch the movie…:P

25. Heather Burns says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:01pm

wow what a pedigree
    Way to go Susan and Feature of course

26. Linda Johnson says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:41pm

Congratulations on your beautiful addition to your family! Such fun. I look forward to all your updates!

27. Mary Ann says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:26pm

Congratulations on a healthy litter!!!

28. Bonnie says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:15pm

So, are you hoping that the puppy that tugs at your hearstrings this time is a boy or a girl?

Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:27pm

Keeping a completely open mind Bonnie!

29. Mary M says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:03pm

BIG congrats how wonderful!

30. s weaver says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 11:49am

Beautiful litter! Congratulations to you, John and Momma Dog!!

31. Jane G says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 11:26am

Congratulations! I just posted a query about the puppies last night on IC. So glad everyone is healthy & happy. And lucky 7 puppies. Peachy out did the singleton litter in spades.

Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:27pm

Thanks Jane!

32. SusanDW says:
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 11:20am

Congrats on a beautiful litter. Bright futures ahead for those pups! Can’t wait to watch.