Happy 17th Birthday To a Very Special Red Border Collie

Posted on 09/20/13 29 Comments

Today Buzz turns 17-years-old!

I couldn’t be happier. Not just because I have had my special boy for so many amazing years. But because Buzz isn’t just a dog that is hanging on as a 17-year-old dog; he is a dog that is actively engaged in life as a 17 year old dog.

So much so that I decided to teach him a new trick this week!

Not only has Buzz changed my life . . . but through him he has helped me to change so many other lives! To say he is a special dog is an understatement, he is a dog that has truly “Shaped the Success” of so many!

In honour of Buzz’s milestone birthday, we are going to have a sale on the last few remaining copies of the hardcover edition of “Shaping Success.” For the next week (or until our limited supply runs out) both Buzz and I will autograph all of the copies (both soft cover and hardcover copies) of Shaping Success that we ship during his “birthday week.”

A Classic with a Classic

To close I leave you with this montage of Buzzy doing what he loved most of all . . . AGILITY! This video was put together by my friend (and Buzzy’s friend), Renee King. The footage is old but you can still feel the love Buzzy had for all he did.

Today I am grateful for the life of Buzz! Β He still continues to amaze me every day!

1. Maria Flore says:
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 10:42pm

What a cute and gorgeous puppy.

2. Danny says:
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 10:53am

I never had a birthday party conditions for my dog​​, I hurt deeply.

3. Trevor Boyd says:
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 at 8:55pm

It’s late. But Happy Birthday to you, Buzzy. And here’s to another year of fun.

4. Roxanne Davis says:
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 2:46am

I am reading Shaping for Success. Thanks Buzz for helping to make you an even more awesome instructor! I will be getting a Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppy this year hopefully and I can’t wait to use your methods! I really get it about lure versus allowing the dog to offer up behaviors and reinforcing what you desire. I am having a slow time with my older lab as she passively waits for me for clues. Waits, and waits, ( can you hear the crickets?). ;). Thanks for all you do.

5. kerensa mckie says:
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 8:49am

Happy birthday Buzz, your story inspired me to train my mad , loopy high drive boy and now he’s a different dog.

6. Trudie says:
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 5:00am

Isn’t it amazing to know, the story of Buzzy is reaching and inspiring folks, even in little far-away corners around the world… I am so proud when I tell others, how I got to meet him this summer!

7. Rick Ebbinghouse says:
    Monday, September 23, 2013 at 6:16pm

You and Buzz have been Shaping Success in so many lives, including my three dogs and mine. It was a thrill to meet him and you this summer and to have my picture taken with him. Happy Birthday Buzz!

8. Ruth says:
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:37am

Oh wow, what a special boy… handsome dude like the 90 year old men who keep incredibly fit and mentally active.

What strides! Wonder how his speed matched your current competing dogs?

And what start line stays!!!!! Awesome, awesome awesome…

So lucky to have someone like you in his life to work with his drive not against it. What a great partnership!

9. Lisa Bradford says:
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 12:53am

I have an 18 yr old 3 legged dog that is still chasing balls and having a great time!

10. Linda says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 8:30pm

Happy Birthday Buzz….my inspiration

11. CJ says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 7:58pm

Happy Birthday Buzz! Love the enthusiasm, then and now πŸ™‚

12. Julie S says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 7:38pm

When I knew Buzzy, he played hard and lived life to the fullest! I’m not surprised that he is still actively engaged! This sure does bring back lots of memories from that hey dey time in our lives!

Happy Birthday Buzz!

13. Louise S says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 6:17pm

Happy Birthday Buzzy! Such a handsome man. Hope you have a special day for a very special boy xo

14. Rachel says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 4:42pm

Happy Birthday Buzzy!!!
    17 years, in such great shape and going strong that is awesome.
    I am grateful that Susan shared so many of her stories and experiences with you with all of us.

Loved the shaping movie and Buzz YIC with small cookie bowl πŸ˜‰ Should not chuckle, a reminder to work on the very same with my oldest πŸ˜‰

15. Donna says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 3:15pm

Happy Birthday Buzz!!! Hope you get lots and lots of chicken necks!!

16. Sharon M says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 2:47pm

Wow! Happy Birthday to a super red dog! ENJOY!

17. Jane n Bobs says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 2:27pm

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Buzzy, happy birthday to you……Buzz dog rocks!!!!!

18. Jean says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 12:50pm

It’s great to see the young Buzz in action. Boy, was he fast!! Happy Birthday to Buzzy! Shaping Success is what lead me to Say Yes.

19. Wendy Rudolph says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 12:30pm

Awesome Buzz! I remember watching the two of you win at the first AAC National Championships back in 2001 πŸ™‚

You and Buzz have inspired “Old Dog Big Adventures” with my 16 year old Toller. He and two besties, who are both 15, have been on many special adventures together. Old dogs are treasures.

Happy Birthday!

20. Debra n Snap says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 10:33am

Buzz has shaped thousands of lives, Susan. There will never be a better book than Shaping Success, in my opinion. HAPPY BEAUTIFUL BIRTHDAY, Buzzy! You have earned the Gold Buzz Saw Award! You gorgeous Red!

21. Bonnie says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 10:07am

I thought I remembered that Buzz was losing his hearing. Not in this video! I saw those ears prick at the sound of the clicker. So cool to see him part of the pack, active, and engaged at 17. Happy Birthday, Buzz.

Friday, September 20, 2013 at 10:27am

Thats why I chose to use SUCH a LOUD clicker Bonnie . . . I found one he did react to . . . how cool is THAT!

22. Debbie says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 10:03am

Happy Birthday Buzz! Hope you have an extra special day.

23. Renee King says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 9:51am

πŸ™‚ BUZZ!!!! What a grand boy! Happy Birthday dude!!!!! So glad I found that old footage so everyone could see how cool you are! πŸ™‚

24. Cathy says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 9:32am

Happy birthday to someone who has brought so much joy to the lives of others. A joy to watch you both.

25. Christine Schragel says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 9:27am

Happy Birthday, what a great age and still condition. Watching his start line and feet it reminds me of my little chessie busy bee and my struggles and she was it when I discussed this with Angelika Steinecker on a list who brought me to Shaping Success. Since then many online classes follwed and I am very greatful for this. It changed our lives, three dogs, two humans, more dogs from friends and humans. Thanks to you all!!!

26. vannest says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 9:22am

You are so very lucky to have had him for so long! Big happy birthday to him!

27. Taryn says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 9:19am

28. BEL says:
    Friday, September 20, 2013 at 9:10am

Happy Birthday Buzzy! Here’s to many more happy years ahead!