Revelations After Our Say Yes “Holiday”

Posted on 08/31/10 28 Comments

So last week a few of my students got together here for a Say Yes “holiday.” I have to quote “holiday” since for many of you,  it wouldn’t be your idea of a “holiday.” We had my favourite Scottish born fitness guru come to kick our butts with twice a day workouts (including our cardio stint before each work out it amounted to about 90 minutes of high energy f-u-n each session).

In addition we tried to get in one other “fitness” activity each day like a wilderness walk or some agility training or both.  Friday night we ended our week with a “cheat” night that included baking homemade cookies . . . big yum!

The sessions with Jill where both fun and way challenging. As far as fitness goes, I would put myself in the middle of the pack, not as fit some of the girls there but no slouch either. However mid way through the week I was the only one not complaining about sore stiff muscles.

Weird eh? I will probably pay the price when the others girls read this blog but at one point two of them had to walk up and down the stairs in the house backwards because their legs were so sore. Most where popping some sort of aspirin or other pain killer (in their defence –one or two of them came in with sore backs).

I am not writing all of this to brag on my extraordinarily amazing physique, because, quite honestly with this e-course I have been running this past month, my own workouts have been sporadic at best. But I found my lack of sore muscles fascinating — my purpose here is to speculate — possibly educate.

Why was it that I was the only one not complaining about stiff muscles? To be honest there was one day my butt muscles felt tight but never that “do-not-touch-me-anywhere-sore” like I used to get when I worked out regularly a few years ago — but slightly tight — like finally I could feel something.

I can tell my lack of stiffness  wasn’t because I prepared by for all of this with twice a day workouts for weeks leading up to this seven day extravaganza. Was it because I wasn’t playing full out and the rest of them were? I doubt it, thats not my style.

Check out the video I put together and give me your opinion. Tomorrow I will share mine — all speculation really but interesting to me.

Today I am grateful to Jill for creating an atmosphere conducive to belly laughs and hard work all around.

1. Lisa Runquist says:
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 9:27pm

That’s a holiday? Looks like work to me!

2. Kim Collins says:
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 2:03pm

I think it was the pony tails….:o) yup definitely the pony tails….

3. Deb Schulman says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 7:31pm

I have not received an email about the webinar tonight. Were we supposed to get one?

4. Tammy says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 6:21pm

I did not get an email on the webinar can anyone tell me how to access this?

5. seamstjr says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 5:47pm

Way to go. Hopefully it will become a lifelong habit.

6. Dianne says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 5:14pm

Wow, That is my idea of a vacation! 30 more post holes to dig will be my long weekend/vacation along with moving the 4 x 4’s and sand for posts and then 30-40 railroad ties.

7. Gemma Osmond says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 4:59pm

Ouch! Can definitely see the benefit though, especially when you’re trying to kick baby pounds like moi! 🙂

8. Gale says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 4:52pm

Ah to be young again………… and have knees! go ahead, make me jealous! you will have to pay! LOL

9. Betsy says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 3:39pm

Watched your video – that was great – but now I am really tired and my muscles are sore must go lay down LOL!!! BetsyN

10. Jenny Yasi says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 1:43pm

Fabulous!!

11. Rachel says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 12:37pm

There are some great moves in there that I’m going to incorporate into my own fitness routine. Thank you so much for sharing that video. So great. I think my glutes are sore just from watching. (Hmmm, I guess that means that I don’t have the magic I’m-NOT-Sore Susan mojo…)

12. Shannon Kelly says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 12:00pm

Water intake and diet — having enough protein and carbs to help recover. I would say giving yourself recovery days as well, but sounds like that didn’t happen in this 5 day stretch!

13. jill says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 10:43am

Today I am grateful to have met all the fantastic dog crazy girls at the fitness camp . My son is now dog agility CAARAAAZZEEEEE !! All the girls gave 100% effort and I hope they will be able to use what they have learned in their own routines at home !!The atmosphere was perfect and the BUZZZZ waS AWESOME Susan U are something else.LOVE YA

14. Jodi Altman says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 8:42am

It may be because you are so focused on what you are doing that you don’t get bogged down with the nitty gritty of life like how to spell you friends names.
    Had a great time and am sore muscle free.

Jodi without and “e”

15. Jan Vlasak says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 8:36am

I agree with MicheleA. It’s all about the DIET!!

16. diana henry says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 8:30am

I think Esther has hit on it with the addition that if all those ‘balls & balance’ pieces are part of your regular routine when you do work out then that core development (like yoga) gives an extra advantage!
    It looked like a lot of hard work but I’m sure the adrenalin high is still with you. Great job everyone – most importantly it’s inspiration to the rest of us to get training so we can be there for our dogs. Keep raising the bar guys

17. Janice says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 8:17am

It’s because you have excellent choice of music…rock’n :-)))

18. JoAnne Nelson says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 7:58am

Was it because you kept moving afterward? Better Warm up and Cool down routine?

19. MicheleA says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 7:53am

I would say your diet might have been the reason why you did not get sore….I love the idea of using the agility equipment to exercise on.

20. veronica says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 7:13am

Just watched that video…….it has left me speechless.

Excuse me for a sec… just have to retrieve my bottom jaw off the ground.

WOW!!

Way to go!:)

21. Esther says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 7:07am

My guesses :
    * you played along, like you play with the dogs, therefore more relaxed and less muscle tension,
    * you had long evening walks with your dogs to eliminate the sour from the muscles,
    * you were in a better shape than you though because of playing with your dogs every day (noticed by myself that the recallers course and all the tugging is improving my arm muscles)

Most important though, you all seemed to have lots of fun!

22. Nicki says:
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 12:29am

Awesome boot camp! Yup, like Linda said….Blob buster aka Cellerciser :o)

23. Ali Barnett says:
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 10:23pm

That looks awesome, you ladies are amazing!! I am sure we can do some workouts for you while you’re on “holiday” in NZ :)))

24. mary m says:
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 10:20pm

My guess/theroy:
    1) Double layers (shirts)
    2) Sleeping in your own bed and home (I am always sore and stiff after sleeping in a hotel, another bed, etc.)

My thoughts, can’t wait to hear what you came up with!

Mary

25. Laura says:
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 9:39pm

Haha that looks like such a great “holiday”! I love how you incorporated the agility equipment into it.

26. Alison says:
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 9:28pm

Perhaps you have a higher pain threshold?!

Or did you make the others do nose-touches on the contacts?! LOL

I wonder if the dogs were thinking ‘ah ha, see not as easy is it looks hey mama?’! LOL

Training as a group did look like a lot of fun though!

27. LINDA BLACK says: