A Shake Up to the Normal Routine

Posted on 02/04/10 12 Comments

Still down here in south Florida. I decided to take a little “me” time in between teaching camps. Most days have started with my friend Neta and I working out with her awesome trainer Jill Dearmin from Juno Beach Fitness. Yesterday Jill took us to the beach for our workout. We laughed, we cried  . . . someone peed in the ocean, while some one else may have spit up a bit in their mouth.

I really haven’t worked out like this in quite some time and was thoroughly impressed by how I hung in with Neta (who has been working with Jill for a year). I credit most of this to the great prep the Cellerciser has given me. I wouldn’t have believed it if someone told me, but that little puppy has really has given me a great start to my fitness journey.

Jill is all ready to put us through our paces, me on the other hand think I am still in Canada!

Jogging with the “babies”

Down and up burpeess in the surf, no salt needed with dinner tonight for sure!

Catching a break when the surf rolls out!

Tossing around the medicine ball.

Surf sprints  . . . talk about resistance training!

Sprint for 10 m then drop ‘n roll for three, then up and sprint to the next marker.  The drag mark are from another killer exercise we finished earlier.

Gasping for air!

Neta thinking she can spread out on a towel to catch a few rays . . . not!

Sprinting the dunes, from the bottom; forwards up and backwards down for 20 then from the top forwards down and backwards up for 20.

One of the hazards of beach workouts, is the many stinging man-o-wars that you must be careful not to step on.

Another Juno Beach hazard to be aware of is Jill.

Balance on the wee ball while doing presses and curls.

Neta and I keep the “babies” high and dry during our final jog down the beach.

Word of advise, don’t mess with Jill!

It really was a wonderful morning. It is hard for me to believe but I have been coming to Florida every winter for 12 years and this is the first time I have been to the beach. Sad but true.

Jill really is an amazing trainer.  If you ever want to treat yourself, take a few days, get down to Juno Beach Fitness and work out with Jill.  She is a tough wee Scottish lass but her innovative and motivational workouts make an hour whizz by in no time.

Today I am grateful for Neta’s awesome hospitality and Jill’s caring approach to fitness.

1. Joni S. says:
    Friday, February 5, 2010 at 10:43pm

Good to see people trying to stay in shape. And not just thinking ‘it’s all about the dog’.

2. Jill Dearmin says:
    Friday, February 5, 2010 at 4:08pm

Hello everyone .. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BETTER YOURSELF THRU EXCERCISE … I can change the way you think about your body and it’s capabilities .. Happy to be here Jill

3. Kelly says:
    Friday, February 5, 2010 at 4:06pm

Your great work out has me missing my trainer here in NJ that I was lucky to spend last year with! Short on time and money I have turned to the Wii fit for the winter. I am having a ball and it has encouraged my husband to start a friendly (most of the time) competition of who beat who’s scores!

4. Anne Stocum says:
    Friday, February 5, 2010 at 8:32am

Susan – I’m soooo happy for you that you finally made it to the beach! You’re looking great too!

5. Nat says:
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 6:03pm

Now THAT is a tough workout. But fun, in a challenging way!!

6. Gemma Osmond says:
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 5:47pm

My goodness, don’t know how you’re doing it but seriously, seriously impressed! 🙂 I guess the good backdrop to the training helps though 🙂

7. Taryn says:
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 1:09pm

I can’t believe that this was your first time to the beach in 12 years of visiting Florida! Holy Cow! That’s what going to Florida in the winter is all about!

8. Suzanne Wesley says:
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 10:52am

Holy COW Susan!!! I can see how all the exercise is working for you. Looking good girl. This motivates me to push myself a little further. I jog most days with the doggies but a good beach run with them would be even better! I have often thought of it but getting up at O’Dark Hundred to get a run in on the beach and get back shower and change for work with a one hour window of daylight is hard but hey… NOT IMPOSSIBLE – the days are getting longer now!! I’m fortunate enough to live 2 minutes from a beach run – luckier than most. Tell Neta she is looking GOOOOODDD too !!!! I saw her in Scottsdale and she looked marvellous but now… the bod is killer!!

Have fun in Vero this weekend. Wish I could be here!!

9. Kathryn says:
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 10:46am

It’s February in Canada. You’re really, really mean.

10. Andrea says:
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 10:17am

You did all of that in AN HOUR?! That cellercizer must be magic!

We live 2 minutes from Juno Beach – and I’m a little afraid of Jill….. 🙂

Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 3:27pm

With you living that close to Jill you just HAVE to work with her, it is a great start/end or middle lift to your day.

11. Andrea says:
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 8:41am

OMG – I think you probably know what I’m thinking right now…