Surprises: Some are Great, Others . . . Not So Much

Posted on 11/09/09 8 Comments

I love surprises, good ones that is. Like while I sit here at my computer for the 4th day on the road ( as we head to the USDAA Nationals) and yet another competitor whizzes by, honking as they recognize the “Empress” (. . .er that is, the model name of our RV).  Those are fun, good surprises, the kind that put a smile on your face.

That is in complete contrast to the few surprises our now almost 6 year old RV gave us as we started on our trip down south (requiring a couple extra stops and the loss of a few hours on the road) on day one.

I got another great surprise yesterday, as I sat here working away on my laptop (John was driving of course) I accidently clicked an icon

Twister helping with my computer work sometime in late '07 or early '08
Twister always enjoyed "helping" with my computer work.

called “Photo Booth”.  I didn’t really know if I had actually hit the icon so I ignored it (usually I force quit something I hit in error) so imagine my surprise when this program  not only opened, but it opened with this fun shot of Twister and I.  If someone had asked, I would have swore I had never used PhotoBooth before, but, obviously, I not only have used it, I even did some sort of fancy special effects with it.

I don’t know when I took the photo, but I lost Twister early in ’08 and only got the mac book in late ’07 so it is somewhere during that time.

I haven’t had that many true good “surprises” in my life. Lynda says I am difficult to surprise. I think the biggest one was on one of my birthdays when we had  a camp at the same time and John ordered one of  those big 12′ tall statutes of a Bulldog wearing a Happy Birthday sign around his neck.  That was funny.

For all of you heading to the USDAA Nationals and entered as a “draw” team I guess you all are in for a surprise too!  Here is to it being a good one for everybody when you find out who your teammates will be for the weekend.  One more day on the road and then we will be there!

Today I am grateful for John driving, giving me this leisure time to just sit back and enjoy the drive down to Scottsdale.

1. Peter de Wit says:
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 10:47pm

what is a draw team?

2. Jodi Altman says:
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 11:11am

Ms Orton-Hill…So glad to hear you you stuck it out with the Empress’s ailments and recovery and didn’t whiz away leaving them in your dust! Just wishing you and Susan and all 4 girls (no icky boys YET) the best runs of your lives and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. Susan, just read your Ground Hog Day blog and I beg to differ…you have changed drastically from that photo, but maybe not in your heart.

3. Lynda Orton-Hill says:
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 11:00am

The Empress by Triple E (in small print below and to the right) silver grey paint on top – a silver blue paint on the bottom – Freightliner Engine (we stopped to have it looked at Team Truck in Sarnia – Thanks Paul & Jeff – so I know what kind of Engine it is) engine is in the back with a mesh covering – silver ladder on the back – white airconditioner at top back edge – and Long silver mudflap with the words ( I think its Triple E) – muffler pipe on the right.

Can you tell Ive been “drafting” it as Johnny B “lured” me all the way through the big cities on the way to Arizona! It was a great trip!

4. Claire Duder says:
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:38am

Really? Empress is a brand name? I thought it was your title!

5. Pam says:
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:32am

That’s so sweet Theresa.

6. Theresa Litourneau says:
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 2:01am

Isn’t it obvious to Everyone ???
    Twister is just on the other side of the veil… really.
    He’s just letting you know he is right there keeping you company , and will be running next to you on the course .
    whew… sometimes we humans can be so dense our loved ones who have crossed over have to really make it obvious !!
    Happy Trails !

7. Christine says:
    Monday, November 9, 2009 at 11:20pm

It’s those surprises/memories that keep them close in your heart.

8. Tori says:
    Monday, November 9, 2009 at 9:08pm

Aww, that’s such a sweet surprise. 🙂