Making a Game of Changing Behaviour

Posted on 11/02/09 15 Comments

I have been sent this video clip by many of you now so I have taken the hint and am posting it here to the blog. It really is about blending what you want with some imagination.Think about this in reference to dog training. Take something in your dog’s (or even your spouses:)) behaviour and think about a response that would make you happier.  If you are on my newsletter you know that I have been encouraging you to start your winter training project, through the newsletter I will be sending along some ideas and a systematic approach (hopefully you are all on the newsletter if not sign up here to my right).

This clip really shows you the best way to train any dog, make it fun, let it be their idea and involve lots of reinforcement (recognizing that reinforcement comes in many forms).  Tomorrow I promise I will address the question of why wrt gender preference in puppies.

Today I am grateful for ingenuity.

1. Christine says:
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 2:30pm

🙂 Thank you

2. Beth says:
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 10:17am

I love the video!! Thanks for sharing. I think we can learn from that one. 😉
    Beth

3. Nat says:
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 6:41pm

Love this video, and proves that the best way to train dogs AND people is to keep it fun and to make it self-reinforcing!

~Nat

4. Christine says:
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 4:08pm

All of these puppy posts are very timely for me as I’m starting to look for my next puppy. I talked to a breeder the other day and was told the puppy I was inquiring about was very “talkative”. It has had me thinking a lot since then. Was this puppy born talkative? Can it be taught to be quiet? Will teaching a “vocal” dog to be quiet de-motivate it? Can you teach a quiet puppy to be vocal and will doing so increase it’s drive? These are all the questions I’ve been discussing with my Facebook friends. How much is nature vs nuture?

5. Polprav says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:08pm

Hello from Russia!
    Can I quote a post “No teme” in your blog with the link to you?

6. Christine says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:02pm

Ok I would have eaten the marshallow perhaps I need to be more in tune with the It’s Yer Choice!

I definately have my winter project lined up. Well two, I suppose they both tie into one and requires me to dust off the Crate Games & some reading material from Say Yes. I WILL have 2 dogs wait patiently as quests enter the house. No more frantic meet and greets and I WILL have a quiet passenger in the crate in the car no more excited YIPS from the rear of the car for the entire drive.

7. Caroline McKinney says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 8:16pm

And on youtube there are two more videos of what they did with a trash bin and a recycling bin. They improved use dramatically. How great is that?

8. Kristine says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 5:28pm

That’s great! When they first said they would make the stairs “more fun”, I thought, “nothing would make me choose stairs over an escalator”! Then I saw what they did and I had to laugh because I would have been on those stairs. Probably a few times! That’s great!

9. Sam says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 12:41pm

Very inspiring video! Great stuff. I actually had this conversation with one of my students yesterday. With a lot of exercises he will start saying his dog will probably not like it or enjoy it. So I gave them a great big ball to push around yesterday and yes boys will be boys: he loved the idea immediately. And what do you think? His timing greatly improved and his dog just fell in love with the game :-). Yep make it fun!!!
    Thanks Susan!

10. Laura says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 12:19pm

I have already realized that to make my husband do something, it has to involve something that makes a ‘manly’ noise (e.g. power tools). I am still trying to figure out how to work that in to encourage him to put stuff away after he uses something.

11. Wendy Nydam says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 10:29am

this also reminded me of another point, be careful what you teach, the noise of that piano could get extremely annoying.

12. Wendy Nydam says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 10:24am

I saw this video before and immediately thought of dog/husband also this article was in this mornings Star, very interesting. I think some parallels
    can be drawn to canines. Like your “It’s yer Choice” Game for teaching self control

13. Andrea says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:54am

Great Video. Thanks for posting it.

14. Tony says:
    Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:19am

Funny when we make things fun we or are dogs don’t notice we are working (going up steps or practicing weave entries) Great Video

15. Kelly says: