Be Your Best in Agility: Tip #3 Fuel Your Body

Posted on 09/14/16 15 Comments

Agility Trial Success Tip #3: Fuel Your Body

Plan meals to fuel your body. When you plan ahead you won’t be tempted to eat convenience food being served at the trial. I choose to drink a juice for breakfast, a smoothie at lunch and a healthy meal at dinner. Meal planning goes for your dog as well. Plan both hydration and high energy snacks to keep you both performing at your best!

“Train like an athlete, eat like a nutritionist, sleep like a baby, win like a champion.”
~ Unknown

Today I am grateful to be able to source great food for my dogs and myself when we travel and for all of today’s ‘mod cons’ that allow that food to be stored and prepared ahead of time.

Visit all the tips: Tip 1Tip 2Tip 3Tip 4Tip 5Tip 6Tip 7Tip 8, Tip 9, Tip 10

1. Karen says:
    Monday, September 19, 2016 at 11:24pm

What do you consider a healthy snack for a trial and about how much do you feed?

• Lynda Orton-Hill says:
      Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 10:03am

Karen, Susan uses a cookie called: Carnivore Cookies Energy Biscuits mid afternoon she gives her dog’s one or two to boost them through the day. It all depends on the trial and the timing of her dog’s first morning meal.

2. Maurice Collier says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:01pm

Great Comments! Prepare yourself and your dog to win or at least to be at your best!

3. Melissa Wallace says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 4:10pm

How do we view the Facebook feeds?

4. Kelly says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 11:35am

Hi Susan,
    I know that you feed your dogs raw. How do you “bring” their food with you? do you ship it to your destination, pack it for flight? with so many airline restrictions trying to picture that working. Best of luck!

• Lynda Orton-Hill says:
      Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 12:16pm

Susan has a number of creative strategies. (if you are on Facebook – Susan did a FB Live chat last night Sept 14th – and discussed live.)

One our community is amazing and the friendships we have developed world wide. Susan will ask on FB or in our community if someone is coming to a big event could they bring along… certain items. Susan now has sources of fresh raw dog food when she competes. As for her own food – sometimes she freezes/freeze drys her own and shrink wraps with zip style bags. All these items are transportable into the countries. The creativity between Susan and Kim is amazing as we discussed Susan wanting juice (without access to a juicer in Spain this visit) and how they would do it. We always have access to hotel freezers – that is arranged ahead of time. Often one of the strategies is AirB&B – home away from home options. We often see the countryside by finding the best health food stores/vegan restaurants available in the city we visit. Truthfully – where there is a will there is a way!

5. Stacey says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 10:37am

I have been involved in this wonderful endeavor since 1998. I am already doing what you suggest. Love to see these things out there for all to benefit from tried and true wisdom!
    One thing I remember from a seminar I went to, early on, was this – The first “obstacle” is your start line. The last “obstacle”is the leash on the dog.
    Another that was always helpful was lining up the dog on the first obstacle so you can handle the second and the subsequent obstacles.
    So many novice handlers set up their dog too close to the first obstacle and square with it. Sometimes an angled approach makes the first sequence more easily negotiated.
    Thanks for all your pearls of wisdom, Susan!

6. Jennifer says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:54am

As someone that requires a special diet, I have to bring all of my own food whenever I travel. One thing Ibhave learned is to make sure that your hotel room has a microwave and refrigerator, not all chains have them in every room.

7. Linda says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:03am

Believe in your dog. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith that he/she will do it correctly.

• Peggy says:
      Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 10:01am

Yes! If you train it, its there…

8. Jackie Earnshaw, CPDT-KA says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 2:22am

A tip I got from my Musical Freestyle coach Judy Gamet, is to stop sugar and caffeine intake at least one week before and during any competition

9. Lea says:
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 12:41am

Do your job and let the dog do his – that is teamwork!

Stay away from people who are negative when you are walking the course. They say you can’t, you say you can!

10. Jenny H says:
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 11:10pm

I don’t think the ‘quote’ above is really a good one.
    I’d say
    “Train your dog to be an athlete, feed your dog like an athlete. Train your dog to work at a distance, and you can still
    be a blob :-)”

I never realised how important it is to train your dog to work with a blob, until I became one 🙁

11. Jane Guidinger says:
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:46pm

It is just a game we play with our dogs. Don’t take any of it too serious, or the fun will be lost!

• Irmgard says:
      Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 3:34am

Yes!! We and our dogs must have fun, that is the main reason to do it!!!!