Handling360 In Action!

Posted on 02/09/14 101 Comments

I just uploaded this new video where you get to see many of the elements of the Handling360 program in action. Yesterday I pushed away from the computer to run my dogs an an agility trial in Michigan USA, and I videoed my runs to share with you.

Since I have been focused so much on putting together all of the elements of Handling360, I haven’t had a lot of time for my dogs. To be truthful this one day of trialling was the first time my dogs and I have gone to an agility trial in over two months!pic for blog

Using the video analysis tool (demonstrated in the ebook and video two of our series) you will see how the combination of my verbal, physical and positional cues really helped both of my dogs negotiate around the challenges on these courses. There are also three instances over the five runs where I was late with these cues and my dog’s turns where not as tidy.

My day started at 4 am as I had a 3 1/2 hour drive to the trial. While I drove, I thought about my goals for the day both for myself and my dogs. Potentially, this was an important trial for us as they were offering qualifiers for the USDAA Nationals, AND it was being judged by Peggy Hammond, one of the judges Feature and I will see at the WAO later this year in Italy. after soooo much time off I decided all I was going to focus on was confidence. I chose handling that was fast but minimized risk of confusion for my dogs in order to grow in our confidence. Swagger’s confidence in what I was asking, my confidence in knowing that he would perform as cued. And, I wanted to add to the great confidence and trust I have with Feature.

Take Home Points

As I wrote about in the free eBook, “A Guideline to Effective Video Review,” (which you can download when you watch our video series) I like to end my video review with key “Take Home” points for myself. (My overall impressions of what I was seeing.) Here were mine;

1. The combination of verbal and physical cues have two MAJOR impacts:

(1) It helps my dogs to drive with power EVERYWHERE! Believe it or not that has made each of them faster than ever before.

(2) It makes a huge difference when handling dogs whose ground speed is faster than yours! Especially with Swaggers running contacts as obvious from this video clip!

2. My last take away is that having more than 2 months between trials in the past would have shown up in my teamwork with my dogs. Less than perfect timing with excited dogs who haven’t trailed in a while would have resulted in many wider turns and dropped bars. Since my new method of handling timeliness has replace the element of critical “timing”, it is much easier to have great teamwork with my dogs regardless if the conditions are perfect.

Would love to hear what your feedback is after watching these videos. If you haven’t seen my latest Handling360 video series they will be available only until this Wednesday at midnight.

I guess I made a mistake when posting one of the course maps so here is the proper map of the Masters Challenge Standard class!IMG_2570

Today I can’t help but be grateful (did you see the sweatshirt I was wearing?) for my two dogs who amaze me more each time I run them!

1. Rebecca Schnulle says:
    Monday, February 1, 2016 at 6:05pm

I was wondering when H360 would be open again?

2. Betty says:
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 6:21pm

What if you only have a small area to work say 50 by 50 and part of it goes uphill slightly Can you still dom360 bI have papillons

• Lynda Orton-Hill says:
      Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 6:43pm

Absolutely Betty, Much of our foundation classrooms can be done in your own home/back yard/local park. Our Triple Double classroom can be put corner to corner on 50×50 (or you can package up 3 jumps / 2 tunnels and take it to a park) and then you can do full coursework when you have rental time or break the course up into smaller sequences in your yard. Hope this helps.

3. Katie says:
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 1:09pm

I would like to know when the next H360 is open for enrollment. I would like to join!!!

4. Maria Flore says:
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 10:05pm

I really love it, we already enjoy at the same are dogs are enjoy as well.

5. Susan says:
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:25pm

Absolutely would love a list of verbal cues. 4 years into this game and a senior, I have tended to mix up cues – ie not consistent, so now with 2 fast BCs and a slow handler, I so need to be consistent. Looking forward to Handling 360

6. Jan Smoller says:
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 12:25am

When will you reopen??? My husband tried to order handling 360 for me for Valentines Day and you were closed

7. Jackie says:
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 12:25am

Just from the first 3 video promos for H360 I can see a few of your movements that make sense to me that I would have missed. WOW! This is gonna be so incredibly cool!

8. Debbi says:
    Friday, February 14, 2014 at 2:01pm

It’s Friday Feb 14th and I just finished watching the live webinar…..after listening to the response Susan gave to the person who “can’t run” I wish I had followed my gut and registered as I am an alumnist and know the value of Susan’s on-line courses. But once you have “knee problems” you tene to shy away from some of the better but faster dog sports. I gave up agility because of a torn meniscus years ago but now I am thinking maybe I could return to the sport I love. I will be watching for the next opportunity Susan!

9. Eleanor says:
    Friday, February 14, 2014 at 8:24am

Susan, I am curious as to the verbal cues you use. Do you maybe have a sort of list which situations you cue and the cues you use, as you undoubtedly have put some thought into them, i.e.: “Check – turn towards me; swing – turn from me.” It would be so helpful to see beforehand what to expect, as my dog and me are learning some other sports and tricks too and I would not like to stumble onto a situation or cue which I have trained him “wrongly” or with an inconvenient cue. My English is not so good, but I hope you know what I mean.

10. Judy Martin says:
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 at 8:11pm

Thank you so much Susan, for all the courses I have taken from you. My dog is so much more attentive to me and is driving a lot faster! Good luck with your new handling course! Looks very exciting!wish I could afford it at this point in my life.

11. Leslie says:
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 3:12pm

What are the pre-requisites for Handling 360?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 10:22pm

No pre-requisites really. Ideally you and your dog have a good relationship and work well together.

12. sophie says:
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 9:11am

Hi susan and team,

My australian shepherd should be expecting pups for beginning of April. Will the courses stay on the whole year, meaning I can catch up and go back to earlier videos? There will be at least 1 month where I will not be able to work through the courses with her while she’s breeding, then I probably need to wait before she does a lot of jumping. But then on the other hand I don’t know when the course will come back on and I would like to really give a try on agility with her
    What is your advice?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 12:24pm

Yes Sophie it will be open for you at the very minimum for at least a full year.