What’s Wrong with this Picture?

Posted on 12/24/10 22 Comments

Poor Buzzy, too polite for his own good. He wouldn’t want to disturb anyone or anything in life. So when DeCaff decided she was going to take over his bed this morning, Buzzy happily accepted he was going to have his morning snooze in hers.

Never minding that his butt doesn’t quite fit — Buzz can be happy anywhere.  The world would be a better place if everyone could adapt as well to every bump in the road of life:).

Buzz is such a great role model. At 14 1/2 years young he has no grey whiskers because he has no worries–and he never has. He has always taken life in stride. Nothing ever offended him (well maybe the odd puppy but he got over that early). Due to his hard driving life style arthritis started at an early age (5) but that too he just ignored. Now with a good diet, lots of exercise and of course the help of Sasha’s Blend (that is the only supplementation he has in his diet) he is still bee-bopping along thrilled with his full life.

Speaking of exercise, this summer I had to start modifying Buzz’s normal routine. Because his back end appeared to have gotten weaker. There were times on our walk around the field I thought I might have to carry Buzzy home. That brought me to come up with the modified Buzz Walk. Rather than go out into the field for our daily walks I would take a lap around the agility fields, around the pond, up behind the house and then Buzz gets to go into the back door of the house for his “Easter Biscuits” (a la Helen King).

Buzz loved this modification to his walks and as he ate the handful of cookies I scattered all over the floor inside the back door of the house the rest of the dogs and I would then take to the field for our normal walks.

About a month ago Buzz decided further modifications were necessary. As I got near the end of his shortened walk he started to bark and bite at me, then charged off into the field. So, taking his lead, I followed and let him walk the field. He was a mad man! I mean crazy bouncing around, grabbing sticks, biting my ankles and the next day was none the worst for it (no limping or soreness). So now I let him take one lap of the field (and depending upon how he feels may two) before his “Easter Biscuits” routine.

Clever boy, he gets to do a romp through the field and still get the cookies no one else gets . . . who says people can’t be shaped?

Don’t count your old dog’s out people! Just because they hit a “down turn” doesn’t mean they don’t still have more tread left on the tires!

Earlier this week Buzzy’s walk got even better has his friend Ben joined us. Both Buzz and Feature absolutely adore little boys. Nothing better then having them come to visit . . . while maybe having them come to  visit AND come along on our walk! Poor Ben, Feature treated him like a flyball box subjecting him to random hits to the mid section along the way.

Have a blessed and wonderful Christmas everyone (even those who are not celebrating Christmas).

Today I am grateful for my sister in law Pat (yes all of you western buffs, I have a sister in law named Pat Garrett . . . I always thought they should have named one of their boys William so they could have had Pat Garrett & Billy the kid) for always seeing to it that John gets to have roast beef for Christmas dinner.

1. Christine says:
    Monday, January 17, 2011 at 1:21am

My old retired SAR dogs enjoy/enjoyed their programs until the end and did their oldie search work until she left and the now 15 enjoys his sleeping, minitrails, person IDs and clicker tricks and he enjoys this and is waiting for it.
    Christine

2. Emily Bright says:
    Monday, January 10, 2011 at 5:40pm

That is how my girl, Bindi is. She is compeltely food obsessed and if another dog tries to take her food she still won’t stand up for herself. She just eats faster so she can still get in food while another dog is ransacking her bowl.

3. Cathy Slot says:
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 8:41pm

Susan

What a great new year surprise. Received my Brilliant Recall DVD in today’s mail. Thanks to you, Lynda, Jason, John and everyone who helped with/supported the project.

4. jane n bobs says:
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 1:20pm

I’m getting concerned now….being a comparative newcomer is it normal not to hear anything from Susan over the Christmas/New Year period or has something happened or is it just me that has been ‘cut off’ and I need to sort my equipment.

5. Jan says:
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 10:49am

Buzzy looks amazing! How great is that!! Shows what living a happy life with a good diet will do for you!

Happy New Year

Jan and the Furry 7

6. jane n bobs says:
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 5:39am

Wishing you all at ‘Say Yes’ a Very Happy and Healthy New Year! Here’s to lots more fun and games for 2011…..

7. Debra says:
    Friday, December 31, 2010 at 12:10pm

Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year! Here’s to more enjoyment of life’s simple pleasures (my BC for one!) and less “gotta have that” mentality! Every day is precious…

8. Christie (and her dog Tiffany) says:
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 5:47pm

Aww, I love it when big dogs try to fit into little beds.

Hope Buzz keeps having fun and staying active. Senior dogs are awesome!

9. Helen KIng says:
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 at 2:47pm

That blog really put a smile on my face Susan and an out loud laugh at Booboo Boy in Dee’s bed! I LOVE Buzzy! If I could have a boy dog like him, I would take him in a heartbeat. When in his company, I am ALWAYS smiling! He is a constantly happy boy.
    Merry Christmas
    and lots of
    EASTER BISCUITS!!!!!

10. Nat says:
    Monday, December 27, 2010 at 5:25pm

Merry Christmas! Buzz looks amazing!

11. mary m says:
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 2:21pm

Merry Christmas!

Love this story about Buzz. He looks GREAT and sounds to be enjoying life!

— BTW What a limber boy to curl up into such a small ball and make due with a bed three sizes too small 😉

12. Val says:
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 12:22pm

Very cute pictures of Buzz and Decaf. I have similar ones of my Elkhound and Border Terrier. Must be something about Terriers!

13. Trudie says:
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 8:52am

There are a thousand stories in the Buzzy City! to me the best one is of Buzz striking out across Georgian Bay.
    Today we are grateful for many things such as,
    a) crates
    b) the succulent smelly sardine browner recipe
    c) brilliant recaller Moms

and send you and everyone at Say Yes “Woof!” and a Merry Christmas, too !

14. S. Weaver says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 9:08pm

Go, Buzzy, and all older dogs! Retirement and the Golden Years can be very sweet. And you’re never too old to shape a human.

Heard that the Recallers video clips are in the mail. What a nice Christmas surprise!

Merry Holidays!

15. Sharon Normandin says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 4:49pm

Let’s hear it for the old dogs, who can indeed teach their owners new tricks! Merry Christmas to you and yours, Susan!

16. Michaela C. from Italy says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 3:36pm

Merry Christmas!!!!!
    Michaela and Christian

17. Bonnie says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 2:22pm

Thank you, Susan, for a great year of training, fun, and inspiration. Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and looking forward to a happy, healthy New Year.

All the best,
    Bonnie & The Shelties

18. Nathalie Lafleur says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 1:58pm

Maybe Buzz is also telling you that you should only have big beds in the house…

19. Dianne says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 1:13pm

Merry Christmas Buzz(and the rest of your family), what wonderful Christmas spirite. We just came in from our morning play. We ran through a number of the recall games. It might sound crazy but it warmered up to -15 f(-26c) from -26 f (-32c) so it was enjoyable out in the moon light with the dogs.
    Merry Christmas to all!
    Dianne, Starbuck, and Fly

20. Jan DeMello says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 1:04pm

keep on keepin’ on Buzzy! Your daddy Juice could still trot circles around the youngsters at 15 and also never had any grey hairs. Life was a thrill a minute for Juice and seems like it was that for his son Buzz!

21. Judy Caughlin says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 1:01pm

What an uplifting post!!! You just made my Christmas!

Best to you and yours,
    Judy
    Storm – Adfam’s Gone with the Wind – Papillon AAD, ASA, AG, AS, AJ, OAJ, NA
    Jake – Foxer’s Moon Lucky Wizard’s Sailor – PRT Agility pup in training
    Sizzle – Mickthea Zell Sizzles – Papillon RETIRED, Team Mascot

22. Laura says:
    Friday, December 24, 2010 at 1:01pm

Merry Christmas!!!!!

So that’s what my dog is trying to tell me – she wants me to take up flyball!!!!!