A Great Tribute To a Much Loved Dog

Posted on 09/23/10 12 Comments

I came across this last night when I couldn’t sleep. Although I did not know Jeep personally I knew of him and the great team he made with his owner Katie. I knew Katie’s mother but only recently met Katie as she attended a workshop up here at Say Yes.

How sad to lose a dog at only 10 years old but this is just a wonderful tribute Katie has put together for her dog Jeep — it never ceases to amaze me how dogs inspire the people who love them.

It is worth your time, I particularly love the first quote;

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

~Unknown

Take a moment to watch Katie’s video tribute, it is worth your time.

How much do you love your dog? from Katie Trachte on Vimeo.

1. Gary Dog Trainer Clemmons says:
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 3:50am

Indeed “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart.” — dogs have their special way of making people feel loved. And they fill a place in our hearts almost instantly.

2. Adam Lamb says:
    Friday, October 8, 2010 at 8:04am

I had to say goodbye to my 14y/o Border today…hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I love him, he made so many 2 & 4 legged people happy… when I found the “He is your friend” quote a month or so ago, I cried because it is so powerful, so true. Cherish every moment..

3. Julie S says:
    Monday, September 27, 2010 at 9:42pm

I shared this quote with my dog friends and family. After I sent the email, I got a reply from my brother letting me know that his dog had died that day. Thanks for sharing.

4. Erica says:
    Friday, September 24, 2010 at 6:12pm

Jeep was a great dog – and as talented as she was with all of her success – she did it all because she loved her momma. And her momma loved her right back too 🙂 Jeep and Katie were a team in every sense of the word – something we can all aspire to be.

5. Evelyn says:
    Friday, September 24, 2010 at 2:55pm

what a wonderful tribute !

6. Sarah Mairs says:
    Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:39pm

I got cut off……try again –
    Great tribute to a special dog. This week has been a tough one with several close friends loosing dogs aged 14 plus and then one as young as 7. The agility community is so close and yet so far away from each other, but what we all share is the passion for the canine being and all they have to offer us. Someone told me this week that in their 42 years of living they have had to say good bye to over 52 animals – whether the animal was theirs, a clients, or a close friend….that is just a number I would never think of computing…..but one thing she said to me that really struck home……with all we ask of our dogs in the obedience ring, flyball lanes, agility fields, and living quarters each response is like a gift, some you appreciate and some you’d like to return. The biggest gift we have to give back is the gift of saying goodbye….being free of pain for whatever reason. It’s a hard one to swallow – but I get it………and will listen. So sorry for this loss and all the others this week. Extra hugs to everyone…..I am thankful for each and every time those eyes are asking……at 5:30 am……”so what are we doing today mom”

7. Sarah Mairs says:
    Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:28pm

Great tribute

8. denise says:
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 10:10pm

Some beautiful quotes in there but I love this one the best:

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

9. Nancy Bell says:
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 7:29pm

A beautiful tribute!

10. Mary says:
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:42pm

My dog, Koby, who ran with Jeep at the USDAA regionals in 2008 passed a year ago this month just short of 10 years old. Perhaps now they are running together again.

11. Sydney says:
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:13pm

Reminds me to enjoy every moment for we never know how long we have.

12. Paolo says:
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 5:34pm

Beautifully powerful video, thanks for sharing!