Buzzy Wins The Alberton Spring Classic!

Posted on 04/15/10 38 Comments

We have had great weather here the last few days. All the dogs are certainly enjoying it. I put together this little video of Buzz having fun now that he is feeling so much better. I can’t stress enough to all of you with older dogs (and those that own dogs that will some day be old:)) to get your dog’s thyroid checked regularly. Buzzy is a completely different dog on his thyroid meds. It wasn’t long ago that I posted that he had aged after his “spell” (with Geriatric Vestibular Syndrome). I am happy to report he has now jumped into some time machine and has gone back to being a much younger dog.

Buzz's post GVS head tilt is now pretty much gone.

So yesterday we ran the Alberton Spring Classic, here in Alberton, Ontario. It was a small entry, only one, but don’t anyone tell Buzzy . . .  I told him he was the Champion of the World.

It is so important to take time each day for your retired dogs, it not only adds to the quality of their current life but I am confident it extends years to their overall life.

Today I am grateful for stealing time away for a “big adventure time” with Buzzy.

1. Bethany Crawford says:
    Monday, April 26, 2010 at 3:26pm

🙂 Lol!

2. Claudia says:
    Friday, April 23, 2010 at 7:48am

Awwwww… this is soooo soooo sweet. Buzzy will always be a Champion. Because without him (and his quirkiness) “Shaping Success” might never have been written and so hundreds if not thousands of dogs might never have been dealt a fair “learning life”, simply because their mamas and dadas might have not known better. So, thanks Buzzy. Your life has impacted so many in such a huge way. xo.

3. Helen KIng says:
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 1:28pm

Crushie and I watched Buzzie and we think BUZZIE RULES!!!! I gave Jef a telephone blow by blow description while we watched. We had a great time at the Alberton Spring Classic!!!! Thanks!
    PS Isabella wants a match race with Buzz.

4. Ami says:
    Monday, April 19, 2010 at 11:59am

Nothing but FUN!!!!! Dogs being dogs! :o)

5. Mary Jo says:
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 9:04pm

LOL, so cute! A great reminder of what *really* counts and it sure isn’t the letters that we put after their name.

6. Renee says:
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 4:37pm

LOVE THE VID Susan!!!!!! And yes, Buzzy’s bark has gotten softer as he has mellowed with age. 🙂 Still a GRAND BOY though! Hammie got excited listening to the vid. 🙂

7. Karen M says:
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 8:02am

Puppies are cute but gotta love the old dogs. They’re just so great aren’t they?
    My old girls (17 & 10 1/2 yrs) just so love their ‘training’ still. Makes them prance around like young dogs again.

8. Kari says:
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 12:30am

Too Funny! Glad Buzz is doing better. Decaf is hilarious.

9. Mary Lou says:
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 6:28am

That was just darling!

10. Naomi dh says:
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 6:16am

thanks for your reply Susan- and also for the coupons 🙂

one hititboard is on its way here.

11. Deb Bogart says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 10:07pm

Absolutely love it. I’ve never seen Buzz compete before. He looked really good earning that championship.

As for Decaff….I still can’t stop laughing.

12. Christine says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 9:05pm

ok shame on Decaff for trying to take over the challenge with her cuteness! They both look great and very happy about the lush green grass.

13. Loretta says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 5:52pm

I am laughing so hard!!!! HA! Love the little white dog too!!!! Great vid!

14. Jaimie St-Maurice says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 4:04pm

Awesome video! Thank you for reminding me to take some time with my old guy. I have him to thank for everything…he was the dog that got my on my current journey with my two younger dogs.

15. Diane says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 2:57pm

Thanks for sharing the thought about spreading time amongst all our dogs, active and retired. They’ve given so much to us – that’s the least we can do for them. 🙂 That was a fun video – thanks for sharing.

16. Kelly says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 1:25pm

A great reminder of how much the older dogs still love to do their thing with the mama. Buzzy looks great, and Decaff is hilarious. Thanks, Susan!

17. Laura says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 1:12pm

Way to go Buzzy and nice new house!!!

18. Russ says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 1:08pm

That video was great! I’m now going to take some time and give my dogs the opportunity to be today’s world champions.

I don’t know why, but sometimes watching the antics of other people’s dogs really makes me more aware of the daily antics of my dogs, the priceless little antics that I all-to-often take as a given.

Oh yeah!, please give my compliments to the sheep, that really is some nice looking grass.

19. Marcy says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 12:15pm

I joined others with the tears – Buzz looks wonderful and clearly happy to be “competing” again!

My oldster Taylor (14.5 next Thursday) thanks you for the reminder to remember to take her with me whenever I can. Though her sight and hearing are starting to go, she is still the first one to the door. Ever since I watched your video “The Journey” I make sure we do something special together.
    We both thank you!

20. Karey says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 11:35am

Great to see that Buzzy is feeling so much better :-). Love the video! Enjoying my older dog too….Kazz (Dobe) turned 12 this week!

21. Darcy says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 11:30am

The video started and I was tearing up thinking how great it was to see Buzz doing better yet how sad it is that time flies by so fast then Decaff enters and I busted a gut laughing!

Awesome video thanks for the emotional roller coaster :o)

22. Melissa Blazak says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 9:46am

It’s so neat seeing Buzzy have fun! Still loves to work and tug! I would love to see some video of him doing his thang when he was younger. DeCaff is cute too…. They both still want to be part of the action.

And yes I can attest to the fact that it was an incredibly beautiful day in Hamilton/Alberton and our grass IS that green at the moment!

23. Judith Batchelor says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 8:26am

Congradulations to Buzzy- what a champion!

As for Decalf- what a goof gave me my morning laugh.

24. Cindy Briggs says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 7:55am

This is awesome. It made me remember great times with my girl Carly – tears and laughter

25. Taryn says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 6:55am

It’s so cute to see how much Buzzy would still like to work/play at agility. I am glad he feels better!

26. Naomi dh says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 5:15am

haha great video- it made me smile 🙂
    Happy to hear Buzz is doing better!

What editing program did you use? (i like it)

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 5:27am

Naomi, I have a Mac so just edit in the imovie program that comes with it. Super simple, love my mac.

27. Marcella Ward says:
    Friday, April 16, 2010 at 12:31am

Yay for Buzzy! What a good boy he was. =) Made my day to see how happy he was. They all looked like they enjoyed the beautiful day. Decaff is a hoot-silly girlie.

28. Tori Self says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 11:57pm

Okay. Decaff is WAY too cute. 🙂

Go Buzz!

29. Kathryn says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 11:17pm

Nobody’s grass should look that good. In April. In Ontario. Nobody’s.

Glad to see Buzz being Buzz again! I’ll never forget seeing him as a baby puppy and hearing someone snidely commenting about how “she never stops training him.” If only all dogs were so lucky!

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 5:26am

Kathryn, John will be thrilled someone noticed his grass.

30. mtrebino says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 11:08pm

You Go Buzzy and that little decaf what a ham..thanks for the good time margie

31. Helen Verte says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 10:48pm

Congratulations to Buzzy! Thyroid meds make such a difference and so does senior bonding time. DeCaff may have gotten her minute of fame, but Feature’s panting got more air time. 🙂

You did a really nice job with the camera. It’s not easy keeping all 4 paws in the frame.

32. Mary M says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 9:20pm

How fun 🙂

33. Patti says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 9:19pm

I loved this! You are such a good momma to let Buzz win a big national championship again. He looks great. The white dog hog made my day.

34. Ann Hopp says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 9:16pm

I loved it, reminds me or when my Willy and I would do rear crosses on our walks and celebrate that we got the tricky one! He always believed it! And so did I!

35. Nat says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 8:11pm

HAHA!! Nothing more to be said; I loved this.

Oh, but I’m very glad that Buzzy is feeling so much better! Congrats on the incredible win 😀

36. denise says:
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 6:27pm

That was so funny I’m crying 🙂 Buzz looks great, Decaff is so funny getting in on the action and I love the off camera panting. Great way to start my day, thanks.