The Success Of the Puppy Peakers

Posted on 12/16/11 18 Comments

Today we re-open registrations for Puppy Peaks, but just for the holiday season. Over the past two months we have had many requests to re-open the program so today is your day! When I thought about what to write for the blog, I thought who can I convey what Puppy Peaks is all about to people who currently have no idea. You can get a real feel by checking on the video that is in the webinar currently posted at the Puppy Peaks website. There I document through clips that were posted on Puppy Peaks, how Swagger went from a dog focused, motion sensitive, independent young puppy to a work obsessed, totally focused young man that barely notices ANY distractions in his life!

This is one of my favourite clips from the video (thanks to Lynda Orton-Hill for grabbing the camera when she saw me training with Swagger here).

Puppy Peaks is an on-line video based program. You sign in and watch me train my puppy Swagger. In a nutshell that is what it is. At first I wasn’t going to “dog train” or “teach” in any of the video clips as I wanted the program to be about just you the viewer just  “watching,” kinda like a reality based TV show but with good content:). But once we got rolling, I couldn’t hold back so there is a lot of teaching done on the Puppy Peaks video clips.

My goal when designing the program, was to give you a chance to see me not just “train a behaviour” . . . any shaping DVD can give you that. I wanted you to be able to watch me struggle, plan, change my plan and work through the challenges that a young puppy can present to each of us. Puppy Peaks isn’t a “class” where I tell you put your hand here and the treat there. Rather it is an experience. Watch me train, imitate my training. Evolve your training. By watching and re-watching my mechanics over and over it becomes easy to learn them for yourself.

The idea came from students asking to be “a fly on the wall”  living in my home to learn how to train. They wanted to know how I made the decisions that I do for my dogs, what to do if I am face with a situation of fear, aggression, shut down . . . all of which are things I face and document in Puppy Peaks.

It is easy to say you want to train dogs the way I do, but another thing entirely knowing how to make that happen for you. Many times there is a “paralysis” that happens with trainers trying to be “positive” when the dog makes a poor choice. People are unsure what to do next. Puppy Peaks shows you how I swiftly make decisions and how I control the access to my puppy’s reinforcement first and foremost in any situation.

Puppy Peaks brings “Do-Land” to life for you. It shows you I am human and too can get frustrated at times. It shows me playing training games in my PJs first thing in the morning. Where else do you get to watch a successful, experienced dog trainer raise a puppy from 4 weeks of age all the way up until he is ready for competition and barely it all for the world to see (figuratively of course:)).

Okay enough from me, here are some comments from current Puppy Peak owners;

Today I am grateful for the amazing supportive community of people on Puppy Peaks, or the “Peakers” as they refer to themselves:). A great group of people to interactive with each week! If you would like to join our community or learn more about the program just follow this link to

1. Debi High says:
    Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 3:06pm

Hi Susan,

Can you tell me if you will be doing any webinars in 2016? I recently took in an 11 month old and need this training. Please advise.

• Lynda Orton-Hill says:
      Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 8:49pm

Hi Debi,

We will be sharing all about our Recallers program in the next few months! If you sign up for our newsletter to the left you will get all our updated information!

• Mary Pat Tayloe says:
        Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:34pm

I’m glad yo hear that, as I missed out on Recallers last time! 🙂 Question though: my dog is an adult, we are training for agility, and I currently have Susan’s Crate Games DVD and her book Shaping for Success. Which be most beneficial to build on/compliment what we’re doing: Puppy Peaks or Recallers? thanks!

Mary Pat and Jessie, my rescue Border Collie.

• Mary Pat says:
        Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 9:29pm

I’m so glad to hear that about Recallers! I hvae a question though: I am debating about doing Puppy Peaks, and I can only do one course. I have Susan’s Crate Games dvd, and her Shaping Success book. For my adult border collie, beginning agility training and I, which one which one would be better ofr us, and follow on from what those materials have?

2. Stevi Baskin says:
    Friday, May 8, 2015 at 8:51pm

Can I join Puppy Peaks now.I have a 8 week old and have been tyring to get in PUPPY pEAKS pLEASE RESPOND AND LET ME KNOW STEVI

3. How to House Train a Dog says:
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 12:05pm

Thank you! Our agility training is based on Silvia Trkman’s methods, but it’s heavily customized for Java’s needs, so if you want to follow ST program you will still need to get a DVD or enroll in a class.

4. Claire says:
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 8:23pm

I would like to enroll in the puppy peak programme. When and how can I do that ?

5. Jenn says:
    Friday, March 2, 2012 at 11:32am

Please let me know when you will have another Puppy Peaks webinar!! I can’t wait!

6. Terrie says:
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 5:59pm

I would love to join the Puppy Peaks program, but…
    I just don’t have enough room in my life at the moment. Recallers 3.0 is fabulous.
    My dogs and I are learning and growing better every day, and it’s only been three weeks!
    But timewise, I’m barely keeping my lips above life’s waterline.
    Hopefully, there’ll be another rerun of PP in the future, when I can jump onboard.

It’s a GREAT concept, Susan is a GREAT mentor and I’d SO LOVE to see the Dremel video 🙂 You almost got me with THAT one!

7. Tanya says:
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 3:46am

Susan, thank you so much for your life-changing fun-inspiring training and teaching!

I am currently in Recalling 3.0 with my two German Shepherds, which has already changed our lives completely!

Want more, but am afraid that I will have time to do both?

Please advise!

8. Alaska says:
    Monday, December 19, 2011 at 2:57am

“Watch me train, imitate my training.”

It is impossible to overstate how powerful a tool this is. Over the last many months I have watched dozens and dozens of unrehearsed videos of Susan at work, and to my astonishment I find that I sound, act and think progressively more and more like Susan when I interact with my dogs. This is not instruction, it’s mentoring, and I have been astounded at how effective it is.

Example: For years I have put off learning to Dremel my dogs’ nails. I read all the instructions, understood the principle, but I kept putting it off, though I couldn’t explain why. Then, two days ago I watched the Puppy Peaks video of Susan getting Swagger used to the Dremel. Ah, so that’s what it looks like! And that’s what you do when the dog squirms! And that’s where the dog is and where the person is and which hand the Dremel is in and where the bowl of treats is! Ha. Within two days, both of my dogs are happy to accept the Dremel and have properly trimmed nails for the first time in their lives.

And that’s just from one Puppy Peaks video. I was a skeptic when I signed up, but I’m a convert now.

• Shelley says:
      Monday, December 19, 2011 at 1:55pm

Absolutely Alaska

• Carol Morgan says:
        Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 5:55pm

What Alaska said. This is the most amazing dog training experience I have ever had and I hope it never ends.

9. Dian says:
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 8:41pm

Just brought my puppy home Friday night. This is Sunday and already I feel we are on our way to Do-Land!!
    Thanks Susan!!

10. Jan V says:
    Friday, December 16, 2011 at 7:47pm

Hi Susan,

You may want to send this out in your newsletter, to reach a lot of folks who may not check in on the blog on a regular basis. Just a thought…