The Best Five Minutes of Your Day

Posted on 12/04/09 17 Comments

This video was just sent to me and I know you will love it for so many reasons. It is about gratitude, it is about the love of dogs and it is about allowing your dog to communicate with you.  Enjoy

Today I am grateful for all of the people dedicating their time to training service dogs. It is something that I know I would find a lot of joy in doing. . . maybe someday.

1. Linda Culliton says:
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:36pm

Wow made me cry tears of joy! I learned this valuable lesson with my 4 1/2 yr old Labrador retriever Emma. I wanted her to be a master hunter, that’s why I bought her, so I could compete in AKC hunt tests with my friends. She didn’t love it. She made me a better dog trainer and she got her master hunter title because she loved me not because she loved ducks – there was no passion for either of us. She has turned out to be a wonderful obedience dog (LOVES it and so do I), she makes me laugh every day, and I love her with all my heart. I am thankful and very blessed to have her in my life!!! I just started Recallers with her and we both love it????

2. Julia Lane says:
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 7:47pm

Despite her disappointment that Ricochet wouldn’t be a service dog, I kept thinking about how your average dog owner would be in awe of her service talents (i.e. opening doors, flipping on light switches, etc.). Then for her to be a SURFice dog, well, that is even more inspiring. My computer is going to crash from all the tears on the keyboard!

3. Joni S. says:
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 12:49am

Oh that was really neat. Loved it! I’m a Below the knee amputee that does agility, and believe me….there is no courage involved, just a drive like anyone else for what you love to do. Everyone…handicapped or whatever…loves to live….!!!!!

4. Dori says:
    Monday, December 7, 2009 at 4:48pm

Great video and an amazing story of an amazing dog-human connection gone very very right…but I’ve got to say it…..another rockin’ Duck Toller! They love to work and they love to have fun doing it.
    I am thankful for a duck toller puppy who has seen her first snowflake today! Was that ever exciting.

5. Amy says:
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 11:43pm

Absolutely beautiful and touching story, thank you for sharing it with us 🙂

6. Lori says:
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 7:59pm

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing the video.

7. Heather McLed says:
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 1:24pm

Loved it, Loved it, Loved it! How amazing, and what a great trainer to understand! This will inspire many!!!

8. Jodi Altman says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 4:10pm

Beautiful story. I am now inspired to quit agility with 2Do and get into Slalom Skiing instead.

9. Mary Lou says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 3:48pm

What a wonderful video. Once again proof of the absolutely amazing creatures dogs are.

10. Tony says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 2:55pm

Great Video! I really thought it was cool mostly the beginning about how they start training them so young. He didn’t look much over a week old and already going over things Amazing!

11. Emily says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 1:59pm

Thank you for posting this video, Susan.
    Lately I’ve been beginning to realize that I have been pushing one of my dogs toward something that he just might not be cut out for. I’m trying really hard to change so that I can be a better owner for him.
    This helps… And its such a good story.
    Em

12. Trudie says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 1:14pm

This brought tears to my eyes, knowing we cannot imagine what courage Patrick must summon…in the face of such an injustice. What a fantastic dog Ricochet is and what an amazing trainer !!

13. Sophie says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 12:33pm

I think it just goes to show that there is more than one way to be a service dog! It is really good to be open to that. This goal is nicely reached.

14. MJ says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 12:18pm

I had tears in my eyes…

15. Andrea says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 12:08pm

Beautiful Susan. You have me leaking like a faucet over here. Definitely the best 5 minutes.

🙂

16. Lyne Michaud says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 11:27am

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story

Lyne Michaud

17. Suzanne Wesley says:
    Friday, December 4, 2009 at 10:37am

OMG…. what an amazing and touching story Susan. I tried so hard to push back the tears but by the end of the video I was wailing like a baby! It is so neat to see that she didn’t give up on Ricochet and found her talent and niche in life! It touched me on many levels as I understood that feeling of finding that talent, encouraging it and watching it soar. Now… I need more Kleenex 🙂

Suzanne Wesley