The Power of Positive Reinforcement

Posted on 10/16/09 12 Comments

This is a positive reinforcement lesson and it is very funny. It was sent to me this week and I thought you all would enjoy it.  Have a great weekend everyone!  Sorry you have to go to youtube to watch it as for some reason I can’t embed it in this blog. But it is worth it.

Keep your thinking caps on and keep sending in your suggests for puppies, adolescents or any dog you are grooming to be a great family pet/awesome agility dog.

Today I am grateful for three great days with Greg and Laura Derrett (sorry about the snow Laura:().!

edited: Link is updated.

1. Ivette says:
    Monday, October 19, 2009 at 5:40pm

I saw this episode, it was hilarious!!

2. Lori says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 6:47pm

I LOVE Big Bang Theory and this episode was extremely funny to watch on the original airing and to watch again makes me giggle again.

3. Helen says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 4:00pm

There are so many things to teach a dog. I thought of a few more basics I teach mine.

Drop it
    No / stop what you’re doing
    Leave it
    Get used to Dremel/ear cleaning/grooming
    Up! – jump up into/onto something
    Stop – licking butt or other body part. That is one dog sound I can’t take.
    Go potty
    Learn where the bathroom is and is not in the yard
    Teach signal for them to tell me when nature calls
    No counter surfing
    Leave dish of food alone till I put it in front of dog
    Get Off – furniture
    No jumping on people
    Wait – don’t push me out of the truck, back door, etc.
    Ride in car
    Stay in car without eating pieces of it while I do an errand
    Play with dog toys – not things such as shoes
    Boundaries for digging/not digging holes
    Stay inside house when I open house door.
    Go back – small house, one of us has to retreat for foot/paw traffic to flow

Need a thesaurus for behavior/agility commands.

4. Dana Frank says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 2:43pm

OMG, BBT is the funniest show. Loved that clip, but my favorite is the one where Penny gives Sheldon the napkin from Leonard Nimoy. His reacation has to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

5. Kathy Smith says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 2:00pm

I watched the episode when it came out and was going to post it to people but never got the time. It was SOOOO funny! My husband heard me laughing and was worried that I would use it on him (I have before but a clicker was too obvious for him and he resented it so now I just hide the OC under compliments).
    The Sheldon character is amazing! One of my favourite shows.

6. Sam says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 1:07pm

Thats so funny – off to the shops now to buy chocs and try train husband and small child…… better get a very big box 🙂

7. Gisela says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 12:01pm

that’s hilairous. i never watch this show but happened to be flipping through chanels and saw part of that episode when it aired. interesting ….

8. Marco says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 11:22am

What a funny vid, I just loved watching it !

9. barrie says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 10:03am

I posted that on Twitter last week and no one had ever heard of BBT which I love but I was appalled that they mixed up negative reinforcement and positive punishment!!!

10. Raegan says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 8:53am

I DVR The Big Bang Theory. I train my dog while watching DVR’d tv. I was C&T my dog while Sheldon was C&T Penny. My life is complete.

I seriously recommend this show. Oh gosh, soooo funny.

11. Kathy says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 8:28am

The link on your blog doesn’t seem to work. I’ve pasted a link to “Big Bang Theory”, which was sent to a list group I belong to. It’s really good.

12. Mette says:
    Friday, October 16, 2009 at 8:12am

I think that the link doesn’t work!