Final Touches

Posted on 09/11/09 27 Comments

Well, Encore and I leave on Sunday for the World Championships in Austria. I have chosen to drive to Montreal in order to get a direct flight for her. I really prefer when flying such a long distance that my dog has no plane transfer to endure (especially if it is in a city that doesn’t speak English).  Last year I traveled to Newark to get a direct flight to Finland. This year 2 others will join me on my car ride so the 7 hour drive won’t be so bad.

Encore’s training has gone well these last few weeks. She is such an awesome dog. In honour of her I did something I have never done before. It was kinda fun. I had my hair coloured this week. I have had highlights put in in the past, but mostly I let the sun change my hair colour all year round. I wasn’t brave enough to go turn myself into a full red head, but I did go very dark with some auburn undertones. Yes, I did leave some blonde streaks. What fun, although John wasn’t too impressed. He asked me where I was planning on sleeping from now on:).  He got over it quickly. I told him it was like the one and only time he shaved his beard. I kept staring and staring at him, it was like I was having an affair with this clean shaven man.

Anyway, today and tomorrow I will wrap up Encore’s training with some jump grids on the

Encore at 5 weeks of age already owned my heart.
Encore at 5 weeks of age deveoping her great style.

carpet. No doubt she is ready,  as always. Next week in Austria I will spend a lot of time visualizing past runs in big events in order to continue our preparations as a team.

I think the only thing that really separates all those great dogs running at World Championships is the handlers nerves. In my mind the one big thing that is different at this event is the fact that I am running representing my country. That adds an extra element you need to include in your preparations. When you run and any other event you never hear a big announcement in a quiet arena  “now, representing Canada, Susan Garrett & Encore.”  That will get anyone’s adrenaline going and it is something I have been including in my visualizations

However my mental prep is a pretty simple one. I believe God has a plan for me and there is no sense stressing about it. I get a great deal of comfort from that fact .  It is what allows me to relax and just enjoy the time with my dog at yet another agility trial.

Today I am grateful that Encore will have an awesome team taking care of her in in Austria. Carol Smorch will be doing her body and energy work and Dr. Leslie Woodcock will be accompanying our team to do veterinary chiropractics.  Knowing my dog is well cared for also takes away a big element of stress for me!

1. :Linda Kightley says:
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 at 1:43pm

Go and show them how its done Susan and Encore

2. Marilynn - TX says:
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 at 8:55am

I wish you awesome runs at the Championships, Susan. Watching the team warm-ups this morning has me all pumped to watch this weekend. Best wishes for clean runs and fast times from Texas.

3. Pat in KY says:
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 10:54am

The best of luck to Susan and Encore!! You are an amazing team and an inspiration to many!

4. Ami says:
    Monday, September 14, 2009 at 12:06am

Good luck! I know you and Encore will rock! Most of all….have fun and take lotsa’ fun photos!!!

5. Melissa says:
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 at 9:36pm

Have a great time Susan. Best of luck to all of the team!
    Can’t wait to see the hair!

GO CANADA!!!!!!

6. Bobbie Bhambree says:
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 at 8:35pm

Good luck Susan and Encore and the rest of the team! Hey, at least you didn’t go with the pink mohawk.

7. Bobbie Bhambree says:
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 at 8:35pm

Good luck Susan and Encore! Hey, at least you didn’t go with the pink mohawk.

8. Lysa says:
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 at 6:14pm

Will be cheering for you from way over in California

9. denise says:
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 at 7:33am

All the best at the world championships. I hope you and Encore have lots of connected, fun runs where you both feel like you’re truly working together as a team. Have fun and safe travelling to you both.

10. Kim Collins says:
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 11:22pm

Have a great trip, we will all be cheering for our fabulous canadian team members, special place in our hearts tho for you and Encore tho! Hope she got a new jolley ball for the trip!!!!

Kim and Rob in BC

11. Ann says:
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 6:59pm

All the best Susan and Encore. You go girls!

12. Catherine Thomas says:
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 7:31am

Hi Susan
    I hope that you and the whole Canadian Team have a wonderful time. All the dogs on the team are pretty amazing. We are lucky to be represented by such an awesome group.
    Catherine

13. Francesca says:
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 4:01am

From Italy, good luck! I will be in Dornbirn to see you in action! And to see all the strongest combinations of the planet! Have a good trip!

14. Lynne Helmhold says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 7:29pm

Good luck Susan and Encore!!
    You will do well because you are so well prepared!

15. Theresa Litourneau says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 7:19pm

Whoo-hoo !
    Go susan… and git along little doggies !
    The very best and mostest wonderful thoughts and energy sent your way !!
    may you dance in perfect rhythm !

16. Mary Lou says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 7:10pm

Safe travels. Revel in the moment and have a BLAST!!!!! I’ll be glued to my computer watching the video on demand every second of the way!

17. Claire Duder says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 6:20pm

Good luck at worlds. I look forward to seeing your new ‘do at GSC at the end of the month.

18. Diane says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 4:29pm

Best wishes for a safe, successful and happy journey to you and Encore!

19. Barbara Bell says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 3:37pm

Good luck, Susan and Encore! And of course, the rest of the Team, too. Enjoy the experience of competing against the World’s best, and I wish you great results. Most of all, have fun with Encore.

20. Kathleen says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 1:41pm

Good luck Susan, and to all of the CAT team and especially also good luck to Lucie Dessureault my agility teacher! She made me know your work, books and DVD’s which are really awesome.

21. Karey says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 1:25pm

Go Canada!!!!! Wishing you and Encore all the best in Austria. Safe travel!!!

22. Michelle says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 12:38pm

Wish you posted a picture of your new hairdo 🙂
    I commend you for how much you consider and care for your dog by driving to Montreal. You are a good mamma!!

Side note – I was going through my photo album for a picture of my old Springer to find out when she earned her OTCH in obedience and there was this picture of me and John Blenkey with a sign the club had prepared in advance that she earned her championship. Its a great picture of John with his beard!! I must send you a copy. That was in 1994!!!

Have fun and all the best of luck.

23. amanda says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 12:24pm

good luck! you will do great I am sure!!!

24. Laura says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 8:19am

Best of luck to you and the rest of the team!

Glad I’m not the only one who is paranoid about transfers when flying dogs! When my pup came this spring from VA, the breeder drove her to Wash. DC and put her on a plane to Ottawa, where I drove to from Guelph to pick her up, because there was no direct flight for cargo to Toronto. It shortened her trip immensely and avoided potential mishaps with a plane switch.

25. Judith Batchelor says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 8:03am

Best of luck Susan- I know you and Encore are a great team, which is everything in this sport. Don’t forget to have fun…….!!!

Judith Batchelor

26. Judith Batchelor says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 8:02am

27. Taryn says:
    Friday, September 11, 2009 at 6:48am

Good Luck, Susan! I hope you come in at the very top, but just after the US!! I have to root for my own country after all !!! Safe travel to you and Encore.