“Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more” Anthony Robbins

Posted on 04/04/11 22 Comments

Lordy Lordy Susan Garrett has given up her blog for almost a week but all for a good cause. The main reason being that she has been bombarded with us so called ‘visitors’ since last Wednesday. Whilst Susan is busy teaching flatwork, boxwork and sticking poor Swaggers ears up she has given me access to her blog and I thought I might just give you a sneak preview and update on the real Susan Garrett and our week at Say Yes.

We came out to Ontario for two main reasons, firstly to deliver Sandras’ gorgeous puppy (the Swagger decision, decision puppy) to one of Susans students, Penny,  and secondly to visit the infamous Say Yes. We have had a blast.  I hate travelling and I hate leaving my dogs and home but hey what an opportunity. I wanted a chance to see how the Susie G, the lady that inspires me the most, measures up in real life, so yes, it was a test, and Swagger he was just a bonus!

So as you can see Swaggers life is seriously tough, I mean “Ruff Love” and “Learn to Earn” on a major level – I mean look at how tough this little guys life is…..

Everything in his life is fun and the joy of working is part of every day however he still lives by criteria – I think this is where I have learnt the most, these dogs live a seriously good life. If I had to be reincarnated…..

The life here is chilled, everyone enjoys each others company, the food is A-MA-ZING and the Canadians are warm hearted, open and extremely friendly. I taught on two of the days and I can tell you now Susan Garrett really means her, “Good Student,” series, she has not only written it with thought but means it and invests in it. If you haven’t already taken this opportunity to read it you really need to get hold of it, I can’t believe she gives this information out for free. The most inspiring thing is the more information she gives out the more ideas that she is given, now I am not going all spiritual on you but…… well you know the rest.

Susan Garrett has huge amounts of followers, as you will know, in fact you are one of them as you are reading this blog and yet she made time everyday to make us healthy shakes, lunch, evening meals and great deserts! I mean is this woman for real?

Ultimately I think you all need to know how inspirational this whole week has been (and no, she has not seen this blog or paid me to write it) as well as realise that everything she does is with great joy, pure love and a really clever, intuitive and obviously positive take on dog training. If you haven’t already been to a seminar make sure you take the opportunity, life is too short – she is with us at Devon Dogs in May and we are seriously full but I would recommend her to anyone – get on the waiting list fast! And recallers, don’t get me started…I am going to sound like a walking sales pitch, I will stop right this instant…..

And to stay consistent with your normal posts – today we are grateful for this amazing opportunity and thankful to our hosts Susan and John for their amazing hospitality. Can I have a cookie now? No, I am full – Susan Garrett is the COOKIE!

Lauren Langman and friends, Sandra and Moira

1. annie says:
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 at 10:41am

Hey that was a great post!

Since a few months back when I ‘discovered’ – was led to Sussans blogs and all this fantastic stuff I have thought I would really like to meet this lady even if she is on another continent….only trouble is now I don’t recall if it’s for the dog stuff or the food!

2. Helen says:
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 8:38am

Sounds like your trip to Canada was a great success, can’t wait to hear your new ideas and am sooooooo looking forward to May and Susan’s seminars at Devon Dogs…………:)

3. Lauren says:
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 7:14pm

😉 tiger grrrrrrrrr! Haven’t had that one before:)

Re swagger I did see susan reinforcing him for
    Popping his nose in it 🙂

4. jill robertson says:
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 4:33am

Lauren you sound even more energised than you were before. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Your “stand-ins” were well up to the mark and did you very proud while you were away.

5. Lisa says:
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 1:59am

Hi Lauren ,
    Thanks for this post. I’m enjoying following the progress of Swagger and I hope we see more of Raven (or whatever her new name will be). Both puppies look fabulous.

Can you or a Say Yes instructor tell me please…

Does Swagger wear a gentle leader yet? I haven’t seen it in any of the photos including socialisation trip. If not when will he start and will it be on 24/7 or not once he starts?

Thanks, Lisa Henshaw

6. Linda says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 10:49pm

Lauren you are absolutely LOVELY! A real tiger with a Hello Kitty notebook.
    I hope you learned as much from all of us as we learned from you.
    come.back.soon.

7. Lauren says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 6:00pm

Great to meet you Lynda – you guys have a ball, can’t wait to see you in May. We are now back in Devon – training tomorrow 9-9 🙂 For the sake of being good…..haha 🙂

8. Shelley says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 2:55pm

Such a great post!

9. Teresa says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 9:24am

It’s going to be great to have you back tomorrow for training Lauren, it will be fantastic for you to teach us the new stuff i know you will have learnt from Susan.

10. veronica says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 8:44am

Any chance of posting a picture of little Pup that went to Penny?

It would be great to be able to follow the journeys of the two puppies.

11. Vivienne Wells says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 7:22am

Oh wow, the energy, the enthusiasm, the inspiration. Sounds like the Susan G even outwhirlwinded the Lauren. I am intrigued to see the result! Rather have the cookie than the kick in the a*s!

12. Kim L says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 4:55am

Sounds like you’ve had a truely amazing time out in fantastic Canada Lauren:)
    Can’t wait to hear all about it and all of your new ideas when you return.
    Equally, can’t wait to see Susan in May when she comes to Devon Dogs – gosh what an opportunity of a lifetime to have here over in little Devon 🙂 I for one will be soaking in every word she says!

13. Mandy Mel says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 4:33am

I love reading Susan’s blogs as much as I do yours Lauren, they both inspire me, as has recently watching the Recallers webinars. Fantastic!

14. sue howlett says:
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 4:30am

Can’t wait to here all you have learnt Lauren. Very priveleged to be at Devon Dogs, and we get to share it ,
    and even more so that I will get to meet this great cookie in May. SOooooooo excited.

15. Fiona says:
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 11:18pm

What’s with poor Swag’s ears?

16. Lynda says:
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 5:14pm

It was great meeting you three! Safe travels home… breakfast in May girls!

17. dajrn says:
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 12:28pm

That’s why I’m taking her Brilliant Recall webinar!!! She has inspireed me to allow Snap the BC to be the best she can be!!

18. Shelley Jennings says:
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 11:34am

SOOOOOO envious, Miss Langman!! Glad you’re having a fab time, and I hope to be inspired by you and all your new ideas on your return home!! 😉

19. barrie says:
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 9:05am

Ok to me, the biggest shock has been finding out that Penny’s puppy, the one Susan would have taken if she hadn’t kept Swagger, is black and white! Must be SOME puppy!!!!

20. Jan V says:
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 7:55am

Until you’ve been “kicked in the a$#” by Susan in the flesh, you haven’t truly been inspired! I have earned every shoe up my butt and am eternally grateful for what I have learned along the way. It’s not just about the dog training, but the life lessons she advocates in a most impassioned way.

21. Billie says:
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 3:07am

Thanks for your post. For those of us who haven’t had the good fortune to hang with Susan, you’ve pretty much confirmed what we suspected 🙂

22. Ali Barnett says: