Setting Goals is Easy…Accomplishing Them?
Anyone who trains their dog or competes in sports should be setting goals. Goals focused on everyday training sessions as well as goals around the competitions. It makes no difference if your dream is to watch your dog having the most fun possible or if it is to win a world championship… goal setting is what will make it happen.
Your Competition Goals May Look Something Like This:
- Completing a Jumpers round without getting lost.
- Qualifying in 60% or more of your weekend classes.
- Beating the Border Collies scores in one class with your Papillion.
- Having an Agility Championship by the age of 3
- Qualifying for a National Championship by the age of 4
- Finishing in the Top 10 for your breed.
The best way to accomplish a “competition” goal, is to first set “training goals.” Training goals are stepping stones to those competition goals…however, they are often a step that many canine performance sports enthusiasts leave out. Too often no goals are ever considered until the person gets to their first competition…and sometimes not even then! Often the “stuff just happens,” without any thought into what an “ideal outcome” for the day would look like!
There are two key reasons why goal setting should begin with your everyday training.
- The best way to achieve any big goal is to break it down into smaller more manageable ones…setting yourself up for success. So if you have a “competition goal” like any of the ones I wrote about above, the best way to achieve it is by splintering it into smaller “training goals.”
- The second reason is confidence. Many times on this blog I have written of the importance of instilling confidence in our dogs as we are training them. It creates clarity which leads to success. And it isn’t true only for your dogs! The same is true for you! When you set and achieve your training goals your subconscious mind starts to believe in the possibilities of setting and achieving any goal. You are rehearsing success which makes for a more confidence competitor in the ring!
In short, the power of training goals is not only to build up your skills but also to build up your belief in the possibilities of future successes! Training goals are powerful things that lead you to your success with your Competition Goals!
Some of you may be reading this thinking “goal setting like that is just for the “professionals”…I just want to have “fun” with my dog…not get all serious”.
The truth is goal setting, for ANYBODY, it is really all about the same thing…can you guess what that is?
Yes that is correct, goal setting, is all about happiness. Regardless if your goal is to pay off your debts or get into better shape or have more “date nights” with your honey, or to qualify in agility with your dog …it all comes down to setting ourselves up to maximize our happiness.
So do you still think that goal setting is something only the “professionals” should be doing?
HECK NO! We all deserve to maximize our happiness!
Like most people, this is the time of year I review my own goals for the next 12 months. Goals setting has always been somewhat of a fascination with me. Take a look at this photo and you can see the collection I have of; DVD’s, downloadable ebooks, CDs and hard copy books on the topic. I consider myself as somewhat experienced on the subject. However, this year I took the plunge and invested in a new resource…and I want you to join me.
Last week I bought Michael Hyatt’s online program “Five Days To Your Best Year Ever”
Yep five days…that was kind of eye catching for me too…a course I could get the gist of in just five days.
So why did I buy it when I already have all of these other resources? That was the question I asked my friend “Stu.” Stu is the guy who recommended the course to me. Stu has been quoting “Michael-isms” to me for the past couple of years. I trust Stu… a lot, he has never steered me wrong. When I asked him “what will this course give me that my current collection on goal setting doesn’t have“ he said three things.
- Time Efficiency: It will save you time as the course is laid out as a process with “bite sized” videos and downloadable PDFs. So each lesson should take you about 10-15 minutes to get through…no reading long books. This way you can use your time actually working on your goals rather than trying to figure out how to “goal set.”
- Clarity – Each of the exercises within the course actually guides you through a series of revealing questions which force you to think. Most people just don’t take the time to think about their future because they don’t know the right questions to ask to guide their own thoughts. This course guides you through that so you come out on the end with supreme clarity around WHAT you want to accomplish and HOW you’re going to do it.
- Proven Success; Michael Hyatt was the CEO for Thomas Nelson Publishing, the 4th largest publishing company in the world and the leading publisher of Christian books. He is a New York Times Best Selling author and he was named one of the Top 50 Social Media Influencers of 2013. But equally as impressive, is his 35 year marriage and the fact that most of his children work with him in his business! Pretty impressive track record of balancing a career with relationships and not only achieving big goals but inspiring others to do the same!
Yep, I think this is a guy who could help me set my 2015 goals.
So I signed up…and I have been so impressed! So…. I want you to sign up with me. I got so excited by what I have seen so far on this course that I signed up as an “affiliate.” This means I will make a commission if I inspire you to join me, so I want to plan something special for you when you do…
Here is what I am thinking. We are all motivated by the same thing…playing with our dogs and being happy. Why don’t we do it together. If you want to join me on this course, once you sign up I will invite you to a secret facebook community page that I have put together, there we can all share our thoughts on the process as we move along.
“Say Yes to Your Best Year Ever” is a Facebook page I set up where we can direct the content of Michael Hyatt’s Best Year Ever course back towards working with our dogs.
Rarely am I excited enough by a product that I will actually stand up and say “Yes, I will be affiliated with this product!” This course is so simple, yet I can see how effective it is going to be. 2015 IS going to be my “best year ever”… I just know it! Use this link and we can do it together. There are two price points for the product…I jumped in and signed up for the “year long” coaching. I really want to give this thing an “all in” try….you do what is best for you…here is what put me onto the top level though…
Two years ago I was talking to a friend who had just paid a guy $100,000 to coach her for the year. I was slack jawed when she told me the price. I said “what can someone contribute to you that is worth that much money?” She laughed and said it was one of the easiest decisions she ever made. She sat down and wrote out her goals for the next 12 months…which were pretty ambitious. She decided if he could help her achieve even half of those goals it would have been money well spent (she ran a multi-million dollar company so the price tag …although not insignificant… would have been more than paid for with her success).
So that is what I did. I looked at my “quick list” of goals for 2015 and decided if I could achieve even the first item on my list, it would have been money extremely well spent. So what investment would you be willing to make to accomplish your goals for 2015? Join me, working towards making 2015 Your Best Year Ever. Once you have signed up for the course, go to this page https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HHL5XVC to fill out a quick form to let us know you would like to be a part our little Facebook group (this Facebook group will discuss copywrited material of Michael Hyatt’s course, so we can only allow people access to it if you have signed up for this course).
I will be adding other “dog -related- goal setting” pdfs for our members of that Facebook but that doesn’t mean that will be all we will be discussing! I know that for me personally, making 2015 my “best year ever” means it will be successful in many areas…success for Susan Garrett in 2015 wears a face of better balance in my life…what does it look like for you?
Today I am grateful for CLARITY. It is amazing what a lift you get by sitting down and focusing on your future! Here’s to an amazing 2015 for each of you!