Focusing On The Future…Ringing In 2015 In Fitness STYLE For Our Dogs!

Posted on 12/28/14 57 Comments

In my last blog post, I showed a treadmill routine I put together building on some cool ideas I got from Robert Porter at our Canine Fitness and Body Awareness Symposium. Since then we have gotten two main questions…

First… what if I missed the Symposium…any chance you will do another one?

Second …what can I do without a treadmill?

Today I am going to address both concerns…I think you will be happy with what I am going to share   🙂

The Canine Fitness  & Body Awareness Symposium…RE-PLAY!

Okay, if you haven’t read the feedback from all of the excited people that took part in our first ever “Canine Fitness & Body Awareness Symposium” (that we held  at the beginning of the month)…it was awesome, REALLY AWESOME!IMG_4967

And because you asked…we are going to run a RE-PLAY of the weekend and it is going to happen NEXT weekend…the first weekend of 2015! What better way to ring in 2015 than to focus on helping our dogs be their best ever?

You can sign up or get more information about our “Re-Play” by clicking this link  You will have access to all three days of the symposium…but we are going to give you four full days to get through it all… so no need to rush.

Our FIVE Camera Angles Didn’t Miss a THING!

It wasn’t just our brilliant presenters that made this Symposium so amazing, believe it or not…it was our video crew! Seriously even Robert Porter himself said he had never worked within a production anything like it before! You see each dog that worked had FIVE cameras on them at all times. Our production crew worked out the best angles and streamed it all not only to the internet but to a 70” monitor for both Robbie and each of us to observe as the dogs worked…how COOL is THAT?

And that is what you will see on our “Re-Play” next weekend…amazing presentations by amazing presenters presented in an amazing format!

Dr. Leslie Woodcock not only shared her views on our dog’s posture & nail trimming…but also presented live demos showing us EXACTLY how to give our dogs (especially our performance dogs) the best nail trim ever and WHY we should all strive to do just that! This was followed up with yours truly going into the training details of body work for our dogs…and then the brilliant Robby Porter with his insight into fitness both on and off the treadmill.

But What If I Don’t Have a Treadmill?

swag 2 pods 1 bone

As I mentioned last week, right now my dogs are in their “off season.” Now an “off season” doesn’t mean “no work” for my dogs …it just means “different work” as we are doing “cross fit” type physical activities. I may be working similar muscle groups my dogs would use in agility but the impact is far less severe, more controlled. There isn’t the velocity going into any skill that there would be in agility and there are far less repetitions. In fact, I am helping my dogs be at their best once we do head back to the agility ring.

Lots to Do With Your Dog in the Name of “PLAY”

In addition to working my dogs on the treadmill, I do as much or more work AWAY from the treadmill…it is something I try to do every day.

Why every day?

Because it takes only a few moments, it’s fun for both of us, it’s EASY …often requiring little to no equipment, and it is productive. Just like agility, I am getting my dogs to use their brains as I get them to work their bodies.

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 4.04.36 PM

FitPAWS makes these awesome little “pods” that are a great place to start with your dog. Sooooo much can be done with these pods…along with MANY other very cool pieces of fitness equipment that FitPAWS has for your dog (I am pretty sure I have just about every piece they sell).

Often people get wrapped up in trying to get their dogs to place four paws on those four pods RIGHT AWAY. While that is cool (I call it “Doggy Twister”), you don’t want to start with four pods…it can be too frustrating for both you and your dog. Try starting with just two pods…there is so much you can do with just two. Get the dog wanting to “load up” on two pods allows you to grow endless possibilities of “body awareness” behaviours from there!

Sequencing The Pods!

Take a look at Feature in the clip below. I start this routine by just building value for her WANTING to keep her front paws on those two pods. You might want to do just that for a session or two then play the game of asking for other behaviours. Gradually build up to  your dog keeping their paws on those pods throughout the entire sequence! My youngster Swagger is a pro at this…Feature is getting better. A quick game, great for the dog’s brain and body and loads of entertainment for both of you.

Protect Your Dog’s Confidence!

Once you have played the two pod game …work at two front paws on the pods with the two back paws on something else…like maybe pretzel 4 podsanother fitness disc and eventually two more pods! Continue to add complexity only when your dog is confident. In the picture to the left you can see Swagger not only balancing on four pods but also doing his “pretzel dog” routine giving his neck and spine a stretch at the same time…I follow this up with him reaching and stretching one rear leg and then the other (as in the picture above). It is amazing what you can teach your dog once you have their confidence. In all of your dog training, protecting your dog’s confidence is key.

If spending time learning more “body awareness” games for your dog is your idea of “fun” (call me a nerd but it sure is MINE :))…then be sure to ring in the new year  with us at the Fitness Symposium Re-Play. Honestly…5 or 10 minutes a day is all I average on this with my own dogs…and it is a BLAST.

Click this link, sign up for our “re-play” and ring in the new year playing these easy fun games that help bring out your dog’s brilliance while keeping them fit and increasing their body awareness.

Today I am grateful for all of the very cool ideas I got from our Fitness & Body Awareness Symposium myself…the true definition of “win-win”...  presenting at a workshop where you are learning as much as you share!

1. Woopy says:
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 10:52pm

Is it still possible to buy the symposium and join in ? Or when will it be possible in the future ?

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 11:12pm

Sorry we have taking it down for now. Will have it available again at some point in the future I am sure.

2. Ute says:
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 11:10am

WOWWW! Thanks for the replay of the Canine Fitness symposium, it was amazing and I am so happy I did sign in! So much input and ideas – perfect now right after Recallers ended.

Thanks to Susan, Linda and all the others working in the background.

To my surprise, Susan, it seems you even successfully organized next weeks special offers in Germanys discounters: Believe it or not – from tomorrow on we have a special offer for PEANUTs – so cheap (8 E = 11 CA$). Still need donuts, though. And Bones, and …

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 2:32pm

NICE For you!!! That is amazing!!!

3. Becky griggs says:
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 at 12:45pm

I just signed up for the replay but there is no link to watch the replay. Everything takes me to the sign up now, pay now, but nothing further.

4. Rebecca Letson says:
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 at 10:32am

help, bought the 3 days and dont have a link to access the info

5. Trudie says:
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 3:34pm

I signed up for the fitness live streaming, with awesome far-reaching effects! inspiring others with the concept of getting our dogs physically prepared, and to acquire some of the fun equipment, with our demonstration of the body awareness exercises!

6. Michał says:
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 at 9:15am

these ‘FitPAWS’ are awesome. Are they available in Europe?

• Silke Capo says:
      Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 11:24am

I couldn’t find the fit paw things in Germany but ordered them at cleanrun. They send to Europe too.

• Ute Hamann says:
        Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 1:30pm

I signed the Canine Health replay and got the confirmation – but where do I find more information and links?

• Trudie says:
      Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 3:35pm

Check out “inSPORTSline” they send from Hungary.

7. Diana Smith says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 8:47pm

I am grateful for the 4 days to watch the 3 day event but I do have some Sat. appointments. I need to know if we are able to piece it into 3-4 hour segments or are certain blocks together?

• Diana Smith says:
      Monday, December 29, 2014 at 8:49pm

I think you answered this already in the comments above.

8. lynn Cuthbert says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 8:12pm

I just signed up for the replay and was wondering if there might be a DVD so I can see it again in the future?

9. Cheryl says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 7:57pm

I noticed on the video the comment about failing the test of not releasing until he heard the word “test”. What is your reaction to this “failure” supposed to be? I ask because I’ve been wondering how I positively react say when my dog moves from a position before I say “ok” or give another command. Quite often when I say “sit” she sits and then goes into a down. I think this behavior comes from some mat work we did when we first rescued her to reward her just deciding to lie down quietely on her mat beside me. Now this is often one of the behaviors she offers (down with her head on her paws looking so sweet and innocent!) when she wants a treat! I get tempted to want to correct her movement coming from a more negative training background but I want to remain positive and for everything to remain fun. Any suggestions or does this just mean I need to practice a millions sits, rewarding quickly before she moves. Help! We are working on H360 at a very slow pace.:) I think I do have a tendency to expect too much too soon…your videos just get me so excited for the possibilities! 🙂

10. Silke Capo says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 7:13pm

Are the videos one big video or several smaller chunks of video? My laptops seems to have problems with large videos.

11. Melanie says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 4:39pm

Hi Susan. Your pods look like they have pads. Whats the purpose? Where would one find them? Thanks!

12. Patricia Roach says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 2:00pm

Would like to participate but I have commitments for 3 of the 4 days that the Replay is available. Is there any thought of doing this as a DVD series or something similar that would allow a more flexible schedule?

13. Donna says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 12:52pm

Any chance this will be available as a DVD we could buy?

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 3:09am

We do not plan to make this into a DVD, but we do hope to do more of these symposiums in the future.

14. dw says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 12:35pm

Any thoughts of releasing this as a DVD?

I would love to watch but can’t commit to that price for a limited viewing time, as other demands will likel y prevent me from seeing all of it.

15. Susan Roth-Vainder says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 11:10am

I was extremely impressed with the videos I saw and would love to learn more. I have a fabulous male 18 month old Belgian Sheepdog who loves doing and going, but he is developing a stubborn streak which may be attributed to my boring training. I try to keep it fun,but if he’s not in the mood…. I am also very interested in learning more about your online course that the First Lady was talking about. I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia,so there are days I can’t train, but doing five minutes would be feasible.

16. Mary Walsh says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 10:41am

My akasbash barking , at his fur the sticking up in his back. But his a good boy, he’s looking bad good dog with the hair back on he’s on neck on back the tail

17. Mary says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 10:36am

Where is the link to the video entitled “one minute workout”??

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 3:10am

The video is toward the end of this blog post…enjoy!

18. Donna says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 10:33am

Any chance this will become a DVD we can buy?

19. Françoise Maxwell says:
    Monday, December 29, 2014 at 9:19am

The symposium is well worth watching even if you don’t have a treadmill—yet. THANK you, Susan, for the opportunity to watch a replay.

I have been an advocate of canine fitness for a long time, the seminar gave me lots of new ideas for exercise progression.

I have started trimming nails as per Dr Leslie’s instructions. Although counter-intuitive, it works great. The dogs like it much better AND their nails are getting shorter.

20. Ellen Erickson says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 9:49pm

Did not have chance to watch the original seminar as was at work. Have following question since some of the time I again will be working- it will be recorded format that I could stop and start and repeat if needed etc?

Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 10:42pm

Yes Ellen, you will have access to all 3 days of the symposium for 4 days. You can stop, start as necessary.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 10:46pm

Yes Ellen, you will be able to stop, start and rewind any part you like.

21. Blanche Cooper says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 7:58pm

My dogs and I are so fortunate that we lived close enough to Say Yes to take part in this seminar. As a instructor I see a lot of dogs do agility, I know that we all need to focus on their strength and conditioning.

My own dogs have will truly benefit from this seminar and so will all of my clients’ dogs.

Thanks to Robby, Lindsay, Leslie and Susan for sharing what they know to help our dogs live more healthy lives.

22. Debbie says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 6:48pm

Having the opportunity to attend the seminar and get instruction from Robby and Lindsey (not to mention Dr. Leslie’s great lectures) was truly priceless. Although we already work on body awareness exercises I came away with a more cohesive plan and ideas for the things that were specific concerns for my dog. I can’t wait to see the replay so I can see the camera angles and things I may have missed.

23. Susan Hiatt says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 5:41pm

Would love to see this but have out of town company that whole weekend. Will you offer this again soon?

24. Barbara Parsons says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 2:00pm

The camerawork in conjunction with excellent demos by Susan made things perfectly clear. This was a rare opportunity to view a perfectly presented informational workshop. Now how about those other questions???

25. Adele Yunck says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 1:50pm

Can we start and stop and restart our watching of the 3 days of content over those four days of availability? Can we rewatch parts at all (during the 4 days, of course) if we want to for understanding? Just want to make sure I can fit it into my schedule before signing up. Thanks.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 10:44pm

Yes Adele, you can stop and review any piece you like any amount of time over the 4 days.

26. Amy Galperin says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 1:31pm

I have another obligation the third day. Would the video be available that I can watch it when I get a chance?

Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 10:44pm

Amy you will have access to all 3 days for a 4 day period. So you can watch it all in 2 days if you want to be obsessive about it 🙂

27. Dianne Ford says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 12:16pm

The lectures on Day 1 were very educational from all three speakers! I loved the SAID principles and it gave me lots to think about.

Days 2 and 3 were application at its best. Many different breeds and handler experience plus progressions. Couldn’t have asked for anything more! We’ll one thing, but Santa didn’t bring it to me (the peanut holder). 😉

28. Krista Hill says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 11:37am

This symposium is worth more than the time and money spent because keeping our dogs fit & injury free while they do what we ask of them is priceless!

I loved seeing that there were things we could do with all of our dogs regardless of age or fitness level and Dr. Leslie’s lecture was wonderful!

Thanks for the re-play opportunity – I would recommend it in a heart beat.

29. debra n Snap says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 11:05am

Worth every cent! I really think I was able to see much more via the live stream as you can watch every angle of the dogs working! It is a great price for this priceless symposium! It’s awesome you have the fourth day to catch if you miss any of the three day sessions.

Thanks Susan for touching on “what you can do if you don’t have a treadmill”. Love the Pods and ordering the other equipment (peanut, donut, etc.

30. Jenny Kerwick says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 10:14am

Every course that Susan has ever done, including videos like 2×2, has had a large component of body awareness! Now this symposium and her partnership with Robert Porter takes it to the next level! As a result of training with Susan, body awareness and fitness makesup the majority of time I spend working with my dogs! They learn how to learn, and how to use their body so less time needs to be spent on training your sport of choice! Plus it is just plain FUN! The symposium was awesome because we now have so many new ideas to build onto our routine! In addition, Dr. Leslie is a master at the art of nails! Her lecture is worth the price of admission alone!

31. Marsha says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 9:32am

SO excited to see this available!! Can someone tell me how much there is to watch (approximate hours). I want to make sure I would be able to watch it all due to some commitments next weekend.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 10:38am

It is 3 days of content. Day one went from 9-5…day 2 was 9-6 and day 3 was 9-4:30 I believe.

• Marsha says:
        Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 12:29pm

Thanks Susan!!

32. Rachael James says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 8:55am

Yay! I was hoping to catch the second half of the last day as I got a bit tied up to fit it all in the first time round and missed it. look forward to being able to see it all 🙂

33. Naomi says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 8:32am

Thank you soooo much! I learned a lot of new games for the props by participating in the live steam. It will be great to “replay” and refresh! Just can’t get enough!

34. janie says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 6:55am

Thank you for doing the replay – I didn’t manage to watch the third day last time, owing to work commitments – so it will be great to catch up this weekend when I am on holiday.

I haven’t yet got any equipment but am using some of my own fitness stuff till it arrives so am very glad to review some of the exercises.

My take home message was how important body awareness is in injury prevention!

35. Christine Schragel says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 5:44am

So great, it was for European a very sleepless time but the best spent. I love the trick and before would never have imagined that a treat mill could be so much fun. Having heard from riding that one can easier practize soecial muscle parts, I was always looking for something like this for my dogs especially when they grew older. I am sure my two passed dogs would have enjoyed this as much as my now dogs do and it would have been of great help. But at that time I was already glad finding fitpaw and Mrs Gross-Saunders. But this combination of tricks, body and brain training is so much fun and effective.
    Each of the days have been great and a wonderful resource!!! So many wonderful nice dog training people in one spot. I wish it would have been easier to get there.

36. Sara Dunard Reuter says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 5:29am

The best thing ever!

37. Janie says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 4:06am

Thank you for the opportunity to watch the replay – I didn’t manage to watch the third day last time owing to work commitments – so it will be great to be able to catch it this time!!

My take home message was that I really need to concentrate on body awareness as we start our H360 course as we are total novices at agility and we really don’t want any avoidable injuries!

38. Cathy Slot says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 3:20am

I’m so excited to be able to watch the Re-Play of the fitness symposium… it was phenomenal first time around and look forward to being able to pick up on another bucket load of tips and fitness ideas for Axel

39. Denise says:
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 3:10am

So excited to see that you’re replaying this great symposium! Lots of great info and the dogs looked like they were having so much fun!

• Bobbie says:
      Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 7:27pm

This was such a good symposium and I learned so much to keep my 3 year old agility dog in good shape. The nail trimming explanation was also invaluable. I do not have a thread mill but am doing some of the exercises by using the wobble board and pods. Thank you again for giving us this invaluable information.