Body Awareness, Dog Tricks & More

Posted on 08/12/12 26 Comments

Sometimes my blog posts can get a bit long, not todays. I won’t write much other than to say not all dog training awareness exercises are accomplishing only the obvious. I will let the video tell you the rest, let me know what you think I am suggesting.¬†Thanks to everyone for you wonderful notes and positive healing vibes for Buzzy. I am happy to report he is doing great. Here is a pic of him and Swagger out for a “boys only” walk yesterday.

I dare you not to laugh . . . what a kook he is!

Today I am grateful that my life will never be boring as long as I own a dog.

1. Fiona says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 6:31pm

Those eyes are just so cute!

2. Nicki says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 6:43pm

Ive seen those eyes up close – he Is aptly named! The sexiest eyes ever on a dOg :) those are great shoes too!

3. Bethany says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 6:52pm

I’m amazed to see another shoe-fetish dog. I thought my red boy Loki was one of the only shoe fetish dogs around. :)

4. TawnyHill Shepherds says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 6:59pm

he’s just too cute :))

5. Kristi says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 7:16pm

Love the picture of Buzz and Swagger. Buzz looks vibrant! I find so much inspiration in Shaping Success and am grateful for your partnership with him, Susan.

6. Jan Schultz says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 7:22pm

Love him – he totally rocks as do your shoes – what kind are they?

7. Mary Muliett says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 7:41pm

I love the hold you are getting with the shoe as well…without mouthing, shaking etc. Hmmm working on some obedience behaviors maybe with a favorite thing as well?

8. Kim L says:
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11:42pm

Fun to watch. I have had shoe fetish dogs too, including one who had to have one in her mouth when she played with the cat. I would find random shoes up on top of the sofa and in the middle of the bed. Same dog would also carry rocks or beer bottles on our walks (whatever she could find to carry).

9. anji says:
    Monday, August 13, 2012 at 1:18am

You let him put Coach shoes in his mouth!!!??

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 7:39am

Good eye Anji! No worries, he is very gentle:)

10. denisei says:
    Monday, August 13, 2012 at 5:14am

You’re telling us dog training is fun! How can it not be when your dog is balancing shoes on their nose while they “sit pretty”. :)

11. Evie says:
    Monday, August 13, 2012 at 7:30am

absolutely love it !! Happy to be ‘part of your lives’ thru Recallers, PP, IC, Contacts course and whatever is to come … :)
    Dog training is FUN!!

12. Barbara says:
    Monday, August 13, 2012 at 8:02am

I think you are telling us to do the unexpected…turn things around, use every available training opportunity whilst laughing at all the cute and marvellous things they do! It is all about the relationship!

13. Andrea says:
    Monday, August 13, 2012 at 8:28am

love it!

14. Melissa Blazak says:
    Monday, August 13, 2012 at 11:16am

Wow! Another shoe fetish dog! Rudy has had a shoe fetish for a long time. Must try the shoe on the nose bit. Still haven’t got the “sit pretty”.
    Love it! And glad to see Buzzy still buzzing around.

15. Linda says:
    Monday, August 13, 2012 at 8:24pm

very cute. glad you were able to capture that moment.

16. Ann says:
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 11:44am

17. Canine Training New Braunfels says:
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 4:08am

Such a cute dog. Looks like a fun way to turn something naughty into something positive! That way you both get what you want! Brilliant.

18. Nathalie Allaire says:
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 3:12pm

Love It, Swagger is sooo cute!

19. Nathalie Allaire says:
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 3:16pm

Love when you ask him: is this my shoe ? I think I need the thing….and he closes his mouth!!!

20. sharon empson says:
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:56pm

I love how you use his obsession to train him! that is great! So many times I see something that I don’t like about my dog and try to change it, instead of use it to his benefit. Thanks a lot for the fun video. I do love his eyes too!

He really enjoys the balancing of that shoe doesn’t he? Balancing, so good for body awareness and control. Thanks for thinking outside the box, I am learning from you!

Thanks Susan

Sharon and her pups, Bindi, Cody and Terra

21. Carol says:
    Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:41am

Glad to see that Buzz is feeling better. What can you say about Swagger? What a guy!

22. Meg says:
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 at 9:13am

Once again, Mr Swagman has managed to astound us. Love the concentration and the eyes slowly keeping track. [(Have you thought of proposing to the shoe company---a new model for their ads??? ;) ]
    Happy belated birthday, too!!

23. Ruth says:
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:09am

Oh yes, the shoe company should definitely employ Swagger as a model! How about pretty amazing impulse control, focus forward/upwards:) body control, great response to a release?

And how handsome the two boys look together! Buzz looks awesome and Swagger is just a Chick magnet:)

24. Leah Bell says:
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 3:09pm

I’ve had 4 flip-flop casualties due to my little Stella. Right now we have all of our shoes safely piled on our sofa table, which looks lovely.

25. Rose says:
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 11:26am

Cool. My guy loves socks. I will have to think of something fun he can do with them.