Be the Cookie

Posted on 03/22/11 41 Comments

Wow want a great reception to my Blueprint to Recall Success Webinar. If you missed it yesterday here is the link that will get you there. Don’t be shy about sharing the link with your dog owning friends.

If you didn’t get to see yesterday’s webinar you will have to leave your name and email address and then confirm your request when the email gets sent to your inbox. Both videos will be there for you to view, but I recommend you watch the first one prior to the second:).

For those of you that had problems with a “Trojan virus” warning appearing — you should have no problem with it today. Please be sure to leave a comment and let us know. There was no virus– no worries– it was some google indexing issue with our link.

Today’s Webinar is about building value for you and in honour of turing yourself into an irresistible cookie I thought we should all take another look at this great video!

Today I am grateful for the amazing comments people are leaving about this series of Webinars what an awesome dose of niceness.

How I Became a Cookie

1. Janis Walker says:
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 11:32pm

I saw a pup on Face Book that I fell in love with and hunted for 2 days to find her and here she was just a picture one of the humane society’s used for advertisement. I told them that wasn’t funny and was false advertisement. I see you have spaniels and this dog I saw reminded you of the cavalier english spaniel. She looked like a puppy yet and was white what I could see and had a light brown around her eyes and her ears. If you have any simular to that, would you please send me pictures on my email. Or even if you get any in later, The picture on the top of this site almost looks like her on the right side of the page. I would greatly appreciate your help and be waiting to hear from you.

2. Cathy Toms says:
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 9:07pm

I just finished watching the video above on recalls. I own your video Crate Games can I purchase The 5 Min Recall like Crate Games? Computer’s are great when they work right and enough said. Thanks, Cathy

Monday, November 28, 2011 at 8:55am

@Cathy, I have not produced a “recall” video that I sell, I give a ton of information away for free rather than putting it on a DVD. The people that sign up for the course get a DVD (and ebook) of the course content but that is only one educational tool, the course effective not only because of the strategically designed games but because of the on-line support, to coaching calls and the webinars that go along with it.

3. Alan says:
    Friday, October 28, 2011 at 5:22pm

really great pictures and video really enjoyed thanks looking forward to the next

4. Harley Harrington says:
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 at 8:05am

You have a wonderful site, I enjoyed watching the videos, and reading your post about being the cookie. I have been training and handling dogs for over forty years and in my case, I have mastered the art of being the hot dog.lol I have bookmarked your site, and will be back often. Thanks

5. Jackie says:
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 10:47am

I registered for the Inner Circle I think it was Fri night, and received a confirming email stating that I would get another email within 48 hours. Is that coming today?

6. Marcia Cherello says:
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 at 2:06pm

Absolutely loved the video. Watched it 5 times in order to take it all in as it moves quite quickly, but it is so fun! I loved the ideas about putting treats on the dog’s leg and feet or close so she must wait for the signal to get them. I have to reinforce my young GSD to wait at the door often. I received reinforcement of the concept to have fun with my dog. Especially when working with trainers and obedience, things can become so rigid and tedious, that I almost dread the drill. I love my dog and want to enjoy her and bring her enthusiam into my life while training and living together….Because if I’m not happy and we don’t enjoy the activities; both me and my dog will lose a wonderful opportunity to experience these pleasures in life. Thank you very much.

7. Sue says:
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 1:00pm

I am a cookie. In fact I’m one of the A team. But when that smelly,rotten decaying cookie appears in the park or at the beach or in the forest I become insignificant.

So that’s my goal- to rank higher than a rotten old pile of rubbish- woo hoo!

8. Trudie says:
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 6:00am

I am re-vamping my lists like you said, putting G= grow, T= transfer to me and E = eliminate, hmm! not so easy at first
    What does my dog love to do naughty and good? I think I’m going to get a better handle on my items if I state them differently.
    My dog likes the freedom to go sniff and play with other dogs. Freedom to be with certain visitors who come to the house. The opportunity to chase and fetch a tennis ball. These are things that get a “T” because they can be requested, permission can be granted, and thus transferred to me.
    The opportunity to tug,to learn a new shaping trick with clicker,to do agility with ma, these are “G” for things we like a little or a lot and we want the value to grow.
    As opposed to the naughty unacceptable such as: barking loudly at known visitors when they arrive at the house. On an agility course, running off after or barking at a dog on the other side of the fence. These get a “E” they’ve gotta go.

• Trudie says:
      Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 12:41pm

So after watching webinar 3, the “E”s on my list change to “D”s — behaviors that the overwhelming drive for what you want will decrease the value of ! They are “don’t” that you are going to turn into a “do”.

9. Peggy Jones says:
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 12:04am

I just saw on the Fan Page that an email went out today to Recallers 1.0 who submitted a video to sign up and I did not get this email. I really hope it is not too late. I submitted a video and confirmed my email address with Lynda and got everything else. Please tell me I didn’t miss it because we are REALLY looking forward to Recallers 2.0.

10. Laurie says:
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 9:50pm

This is a very exciting time for me – if all goes according to plan I will be getting a puppy on Tuesday, and between the Recallers 2 course and your blogs on what you are doing with your new puppy (as well as what I learned in the Recallers 1 course) this puppy will have an incredible foundation that I wish I had known about when my other dogs were puppies.

Thank you SO MUCH Susan for sharing your time and knowledge.

11. Elaine says:
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 4:18pm

GREAT webinar! šŸ™‚

Hoping for many more in the future!

Thanks from Sweden,
    Elaine

12. Stephanie says:
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 12:57pm

Hi Susan,

I would love to sign up for your recall class, I’m going to be on vacation from March 31-April 5th, would this interfere greatly with the course? Should I wait until the next time the course is offered? I have a 2.5 yr terrier mix who would definitely benefit from it! Thanks!

Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 2:37am

Not a problem. You will have more than enough time to get caught up. And since the lessons are short and sweet, you could even do them on vacation.

13. Deb D says:
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 12:47pm

Not I if I should post this on the webinar comments or here so I’m going to cover bases and posted in both places.

I took the course the first time and decided one thing I will do this time is to spend more time on my lists. Both of my dogs will take nearly any food any time, in any situation. By the criteria I would rank nearly all foods as Aā€™s. However Iā€™m fairly confident that they would choose a bowl of steak over a bowl of kibble given the choice so should I try and rank within those A rewards?

Along the same vein ā€“ we have a couple of tug toys that are A rewards at home and although we are working on progressing this we aren’t there yet. We’ve worked hard at building value for toys so my thought is to use them for restrained recalls in the low distraction environments where I know for sure they will take them – does this make sense?

• Lynda Orton-Hill says:
      Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 1:57pm

Lynn, at the top of the post is the link “here is the link” if you visit the site both videos are on the same page – one above the other. Lynda

14. Nancy says:
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 11:31am

I watched this one again. It is great. I love the part at the end where it says: “Recallers, a recipe for success”

Your recalles course really is the best cookie recipe ever!!!
    Step by step directions and delicous ingredients!

15. Donna says:
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 10:57am

Thanks. I used a different e-mail acct ….luv the webinars!

16. Daisy says:
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 3:41am

Brilliant video!

17. Dakota says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 10:18pm

Hi Susan, I was just wondering something re: restrained recalls. I definitely see where the opposition reflex is key to building drive for the recall, but I was wondering what you think of mixing it up with a recall from a sit-stay. I have a dog who will already drive toward me (and leans forward from his stay as if restrained). Is this okay to mix in with the restrained recalls even from the beginning? Or would you suggest I back up to just doing restrained recalls at first, as we ‘start over’?

• Lynda Orton-Hill says:
      Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 11:00am

In the course – Susan will use lots of different lead in’s to the recalls – as shown on her video from yesterday – if your alone, if your near your crate, if you have a helper – if you want to throw in a sit stay – its trainer’s choice! The program just offer’s some creative ideas to get maximum intensity and speed out of each one you “try”

18. Nancy says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 10:07pm

do we get to vote on the puppy you keep too? LOL

19. beth bowling says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 9:44pm

Love the webcasts and can’t wait until Thursday, I played these games for years when I purchased your Ruff Love book when it came out but somewhere in all of that, I missed really becoming the “cookie” so can’t wait to fine tune my skills a bit. Although with terriers I think I need to become “the squirrel”. I have no idea how to be more fun than a rodent. šŸ™

20. Donna says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 8:24pm

I’m still having a problem getting a confirmation e-mail to view the webinars. Any suggestions please?

21. Rachel says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 4:04pm

I sure felt like a wonderful, sticking cookie with tons of surprises for Funky when we had some fun in the woods (full of yummie “truffels”) this afternoon. Birds are getting interesting but I am more fun thanks to all the games that reinforce the value with me. It sure pais off having played the recallers games last summer and doing the new RECALLERS 2.0 is a brilliant bonus. Funky is/will be one kind of brilliant dog. Thanks Susan – your work and enthusiasm is greatly appreciated.

• Helen says:
      Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 4:27pm

Ha ha ! Birds are becoming more interesting here too! There are different distractions at this time of year compared to the summer, making being able to take this course again even more valuable to me.
      Loving the videos, Susan, I pick up more and more information everytime I listen to you. It takes time for all the information to sink in! Ha ha!

22. brittsdeux says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 1:28pm

WOW, thanks everyone for your nice thoughts about the cookie video. I haven’t been able to hit the internet for a few days (my brother had surgery and I’ve been his nurse — poor fella), so when I logged in and saw what I’d been missing — just overwhelming (in a REALLY GOOD way).

Being in the top 5 videos was an unexpected bonus (especially given the many other fantastic videos that were
    submitted by my classmates from around the world). Very inspiring!

Note: I have only become A cookie in my pups’ eyes; I have not yet achieved being THE cookie. But I now know it is possible, especially with the help of SG’s materials and Recallers course and a great local club (Sirius folks you know who you are). Recallers 2.0 will help me get there for sure!

BTW, it’s never too late. My first trainer, a well-respected obedience competitior, used correction methods and insisted on prong collars for my 4-month old britts (called it “power steering”). That just didn’t feel right, but I was new to training and didn’t feel able to question those methods. So I stopped training and started looking for another way. So glad I’ve found it!

Thanks to my friends Katie and
    Brannon for helping me put together the video, and to my instructors and fellow classmates for their patience and support while I figured out that
    business about the cookies, and to my pups Roundabout and Sassafras for giving me another chance.

Now let’s have some more fun!

• Melissa Blazak says:
      Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 1:43pm

I know I also am “A” cookie and “THE” cookie in a lot of situations, but we’re still working on being “THE BESTEST” cookie overall.

Also being a novice trainer I really empathized with your video.

Keep up the great work Brittsdeux!

• Esther says:
      Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 8:42am

Also lived the experience of learning to become a dog trainer. Started with my puppy with positive training, then when was around 1,5 years some dog trainers told me to be more severe, like with you, this didn’t feel good and when looking for other ways found SG and others through the internet. So grateful for that. I now know that more severe has no sense, it’s about being more clear, setting and keeping criteria and becoming THE cookie in my dogs world.
      See you in recallers 2.0 we too have still lots of improvement to do, but feel I’m on the right track. Passed our basic obedience level last sunday wit 94/100 points. Heeling was bad, the rest max points.

23. Crystal says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 1:14pm

I notice that this is one of the first things we emphasize in flyball. We start with recalls, and recalls over jumps, and we train the owner of every dog that comes in how to be the most exciting thing in the room.

I always am able to tell people that flyball is a great, fun way to help get a solid recall on your dog, as it is about the only training issue my dogs have never had since starting flyball.

24. Melissa Blazak says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 11:11am

What I loved about this video contest was seeing how other people were applying and adapting the games to real world scenarios other than agility, like competitive obedience and field work. It’s really great to see other “positive” field trainers out there.

Sometimes I can’t think “outside the box” to “How would I use that in….”

Thanks to the brilliant videographers!

Also thanks to Susan for allowing us to participate in version 2.0!

25. Nancy says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 9:38am

oh, I am seeing visions of graduations T shirts that say: ” SayYes, I am the cookie!”

• Amy says:
      Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 1:45pm

Ok where do I buy!! I’m ready!

That is a great idea for a T-shirt!

• sheltt says:
        Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 8:29pm

What a great idea, when I truely become the “cookie” i am going to get myself one made with paw prints for the oo.

26. Cathrine says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 7:16am

Hi Susan. The videos aboute recall is brilliante! I WIll become the cookie. But I have a question. I think this game is best played with a toy. How can I teach my dog to tug and fetch. Because my doog likes toys, but treats better. I want to higher the value for tuggin.. Any tips??

• Lynda Orton-Hill says:
      Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 9:51am

Catherine, There are some great posts on that topic within this blog – Transfer of Value

Also above in the top right hand corner is the search engine – try typing in words of interest to you. Tugging might bring up a few posts that will help you.

Cheers!
      Lynda Orton-Hill
      Instructor – Say Yes Dog Training Inc

27. Trudie says:
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 4:24am

Will I EVER get this “cookie” music and text (“making every possible mistake” la-la-la “our mistakes have become opportunities”!) out of my head ?!
    I guess not!! Thanks, Britts!!
    your friend Trudie