A Different Sort of Camp at Say Yes

Posted on 08/24/10 12 Comments

Things are busy here at Say Yes this week, but for a different reason. We are having a “fit camp” for handlers. I am thoroughly enjoying it but it truly is gruelling (in a good way). Jill, the trainer I work with in Florida offered to come up here and put a few of us through the paces. There are five of us in total sweating through two work-outs a day (90 minutes long each) with Jill. In between we squeeze in one dog training session then one other “fitness” activity during the early afternoon.

Yesterday’s fitness activity was a walk at of our many hilly conservation parks in the area. This one is about 10 minutes from our home. Jill, our fit queen guru, brought along her 5 year old son Max, who is a real charmer. Watch the video to see what we happened upon at the park — yes my dogs are off leash:).

[donotprint]

What you see in the video; is it off leash control or dogs that have so much value for making correct choices that they just do the right thing?  Neither of my dogs tried to chase the deer. Both were curious. It really amounts to a rather large game of ItsYerChoice in real life. Something the recallers are learning all about on my ongoing e-course.

What is off leash control? Is it a great recall we strive for, or a dog that just makes good choices on their own?

Today I am grateful for a week to focus on my fitness . . . but I am even more grateful for my hydro spa pool (can you say sore muscles!).

1. Oopsa says:
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 7:04am

Long time, no post, Susan, but loved the video. Do you think you could achieve the same with a group of hunting dogs? Would be VERY impressed if you could 😀

2. Mary M says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 9:52pm

Good choices girllies 🙂

3. Kari says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 9:27pm

Jealous! seriously looks like a great camp. Would love to do that — agility fitness for handlers! A
    so wish I had the time right now to do the e-course. I hope you offer it again.

4. Kindra Singer says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 3:51pm

Right ON!!!

5. Shelley says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 1:37pm

Does the little boy call ‘Feature’ and that’s when she turns and just comes back?

6. Dianne says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 1:04pm

The connection between me and my dogs has really grown! In the morning while getting ready for work between my two training sessions I used to leave Fly in the kennel. This morning I let her out and she stuck with me like glue instead of making craziness all around the house. We had to discuss the fact that the hairbrush and a few other things weren’t dog toys. She hung in the RZ switching sides from time to time happy just to get loved and be with me. Starbuck watched carefully from his spot on the love seat. My husband is out of town and they really like getting me to themselves. Thanks for the class. We are far from brilliant now but with this set of games we will get there.

7. seamstjr says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 12:33pm

I’m inspired to walk in the woods today. Certainly a goal I would love to achieve with my dogs.

8. Blaze says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 10:48am

That’s great. A real joy to watch!

9. Shelley says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 6:10am

My mouth just dropped open! Ok, so I know it’s you who teaches them but your dogs rock!

10. Elena Urzi says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 5:11am

Gorgeous!!!!! I am convinced that if we work coherently and consistently, I’m already seeing now, we might have excellent results … … we will reach your level of excellence? Personally I will work hard to try WONDERFUL course:-)

11. Debbie Middlemiss says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 2:49am

What I’m curious about is: Do you dogs stay at your side at your pace the whole time?

12. Kathy says:
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 2:15am

Wow, that is FANTASTIC!!! Today I am grateful for all the fun games we are learning. I am learning how to make myself much more fun to work with- my dogs are learning to make much better choices, I am really so excited about the changes that have gone on at our house and I can not believe how much fun we are having to boot! Very inspiring to see what behavior we are working toward!!