My Top Ten Christmas Movies

Posted on 12/24/09 19 Comments

We all have those movies we love to watch at Christmas don’t we? Being a hopeless romantic most of mine are centered around just that. So if you haven’t got them, do not hesitate to run out and rent them right now! Better yet, click on the links I have provided and buy your own copies.

*Note, that I have added a blu ray link to some (I don’t see the reason to buy a movie in blu ray if it was not originally filmed in HD). So be careful when you are purchasing from one of these links, don’t buy blu ray if you don’t own a blu ray player! If in doubt, buy the less expensive, regular DVD.

So here you go, Susan Garrett’s top ten Christmas Movies (sorry to disappoint you David Letterman favs I am not going to do this in reverse order . . . I also read the last chapter of any book long before I should and sneak peaks at Christmas presents when given the chance:)).

1. Love Actually (Huge Grant, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson (one of my all time favs)

[amazon-product]B002LFAHBO[/amazon-product]

[amazon-product]B0001GL3K4[/amazon-product]

2. Its A Wonderful Life (Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed)

[amazon-product]B000HEWEJO[/amazon-product]

[amazon-product]B000HWZ4KM[/amazon-product]

3. Family Man (Nicolas Cage, Tea Leoni (love her)

[amazon-product]B00005JCCC[/amazon-product]

4. White Christmas (Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye (love him)

[amazon-product]B002MU4NN6[/amazon-product]

5. The Holiday (Jude Law, Jack Black (love him), Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslett)

[amazon-product]B000N0W9WO[/amazon-product]

[amazon-product]B000MQC9H4[/amazon-product]

6. Elf (Will Farrell)

[amazon-product]B001E5CH0G[/amazon-product]

[amazon-product]B002NM6DH2[/amazon-product]

7. Scrooged (I love Bill Murray)

[amazon-product]6305609764[/amazon-product]

8. Christmas Vacation (this was my dad’s favorite) (Chevy Chase)

[amazon-product]B000VBIGD6[/amazon-product]

9. The Bishop’s Wife (Cary Grant (crazy about him, Loretta Young, David Niven)

[amazon-product]B000056HE9[/amazon-product]

10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon)

[amazon-product]B00006AFF5[/amazon-product]

There are tons of super Christmas movies out there so if I have missed one of your favs don’t be shy, chime in so we all can dash out and give it a go.

Today I am grateful for awesome movies and the fact that John also enjoys spending the evening with a great flick as well. Merry Christmas everyone!

1. Lee Waterhouse says:
    Monday, January 4, 2010 at 10:56pm

Every Christmas I show my class – The 12 Dogs of Christmas. http://www.amazon.com/12-Dogs-Christmas-Jordan-Claire-Green/dp/B000AM6P0M/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The original book was written by a 7 year old. http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Dogs-Christmas-Emma-Kragen/dp/0849958733

It will probably never be voted a classic, but the dogs are great fun to watch!

2. Ann says:
    Monday, December 28, 2009 at 12:40am

I still like “Lethal Weapon”, it’s my favorite holiday movie. All I can say as my excuse is, young Mel Gibson. Just saying….

3. Andrea says:
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 at 3:37pm

Love The Ref with Kevin Spacey and Denis Leary.

4. Sarah says:
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 at 2:33pm

Don’t forget “The Family Stone”!

5. Michelle says:
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 at 5:17am

I rewatched Love Actually today, never had considered it a Christmas Movie before. But, I get it.
    Thanks

6. Theresa says:
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 at 11:26pm

lol,
    Love Actually is the only dvd I have ever owned.
    As of Christmas, I now also own planet Earth.
    Hope you had a wonderful.

7. Stacy Winkler says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 11:55pm

Merry Christmas Susan and Merry Christmas and best regards to John!!
    “Love Actually” is a terrific film!! I also really like “The Holiday” very fun :-))
    Happy Pre- Boxing Day as well.

8. Helen KIng says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 3:55pm

HEY! Where is Idiocracy on that list? MY FAVE!!!!

9. Jo Ussery says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 2:45pm

How could you possibly leave out the original “Miracle on 34th Street”?

10. Pat Burroughs says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 12:50pm

My favorite is A Christmas Story & Bill Murray in Scrooged

11. Jan V says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 12:11pm

Oh.. How could I forget?.. “Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas” (not sure if I have the title just right).

12. Joni S. says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 11:55am

I’m with Kelly. My favorite is A Christmas Story. With Ralphie and the Red Ryder BB gun. And his dad wins that Leg lamp, and the little kid gets ‘Double Dog Dared’ to put his tongue on the pole. Yikes! Oh, and Rudolph. Yea. My favorite Christmas album is Gene Autry and Rudolph. I have it. :o)

13. Kelly says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 11:36am

I would add some Muppet films (fell in love with them when the children were small): Muppet Family Christmas, The Christmas Toy, and Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.

And of course The Christmas Story (“I shot my eye out!”) — it just wouldn’t be Christmas without that — and the Alistair Sim A Christmas Carol.

Merry Christmas! (And “God bless us, everyone.”)

14. Jan V says:
    Friday, December 25, 2009 at 10:31am

“Home Alone” isn’t much of a classsic, but fun.

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all have as much fun as we did last night with the Super Catnip Crazy Pants!!

15. Lynda Orton-Hill says:
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 8:25pm

Susan shared her love of LoveActually a few weeks ago – I went out and bought a copy and have watched it 2x more! And ordered the sound track off ITunes… Loved it!

16. Lovisa says:
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 8:21pm

I’ve just watched “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” earlier today, and now in the evening I watched “Hook”, that’s a Christmas tradition since I was a little kid (it used to air on tv every xmas here in Sweden). Happy Holiday to all of you! or as we say in Sweden: GOD JUL!

17. Tony says:
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 5:01pm

Susan ,how can there not be Charlie Brown Christmas? The soundtrack alone is a must have for the holiday season.

18. Michelle says:
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 4:44pm

Merry Christmas Susan, John and my 4 favorite Canadian dogs 🙂 and to agility people everywhere!

I will have to have a look at some of those movies, thanks 🙂

19. Andrea says:
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 3:31pm

My fav is the Holiday! I watched it twice last week!!

Merry Christmas Susan, John and the pack.