Motivational Quotes

Posted on 05/15/09 40 Comments

I love motivational quotes. They really do it for me, if you know what I mean. For the last 25 years I have been a big fan of Zig Zigler, Norman Vincent Peale and legendary Basketball coach, John Wooden.  Here are some of my favorite from the three of them along with a few others.  If you have a favourite quote that really moves you, I would love for you to share it with us all.

” The main reason for people’s lack of success is their willingness to give up what they want most of all, for what they want right now!” ~  Zig Zigler

” You can get everything in life you want, if you can just help enough other people get what they want.”  ~ Zig Zigler

“Change your thoughts and you change your world”  ~ Norman Vincent Peale

“It is what you learn after you know it all that counts.” ~ Coach John Wooden

“My actions will follow my expectations.” ~ Joel Osteen

” Treat people as if they were what they ought to be,  And you help them to become what they are capable of being.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“There are three ways to do things: The wrong way, the proven way and a better way.” ~ Author Unknown

“There is a real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale

” Every person you meet knows something you don’t,  Learn from them.” ~ H. Jackson Brown

” It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given,  That separates one person form another.” ~ Nelson Mandela

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing.. that’s why we recommend it daily.” ~ Zig Zigler

“When you set goals, something inside of you starts saying, “Let’s go, let’s go,” and ceilings start to move up.” ~ Zig Zigler

“Failure is an event not a person, yesterday ended last night” ~ Zig Zigler

“Do not permit what you cannot do to interfere with what you can do.” ~ Coach John Wooden

“Don’t be distracted by criticism. Remember the only taste of success that some people will ever have is when they take a bite out of you! “ ~ Zig Zigler

Enjoy your weekend everyone, I am off to a CKC trial this weekend with Encore & Feature. Today I am grateful for the focused drive I acquire every time I re-visit my list of motivational quotes.

1. Dawg55 says:
    Friday, August 24, 2012 at 10:54pm

Just stumbled upon this! COOOL!!

My absolute fave, have it in a bumper sticker, will get a shirt soon
    The real joy is in the privilege and ability to step to the start line with your dog by your side, not in the crossing of the finish line, victorious over others.” ~ Gail Storm

“Run the course like each one is your last. Make it a run th
    at leaves you smiling, if not laughing aloud for the joy of the sport. Otherwise you will have missed the most important thing in agility, the love and companionship of a trusted, loyal and loving canine partner.” ~ Kathleen Highfill
    There is a real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale
    change ito to dog? Every person you meet knows something you don’t, Learn from them.” ~ H. Jackson brown
    It’s kind of fun to do the impossible, Walt Disney

2. Mikey says:
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 4:36pm

Sorry to be so late, but I just found another quote that I really love:

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”

Barack Obama’s Inaugural Address

3. Pat says:
    Monday, May 25, 2009 at 9:43am

Sorry I am late with this, but I think it’s worth sending. Sorry also that I don’t know who to give credit.

‘Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways – Chardonnay in one hand – chocolate in the other – body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO, What a Ride’

Cheers!!

4. Solveig T says:
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 11:59pm

Since 2003 I have had “quote of the month” on my homepage (also some of your quotes, Susan). I just love this post and all the replies – you guys have given me ideas for at least 6 more years 🙂 Some months ago I made a slideshow of my “quote of the month” from 2007 and 2008, so if you would like to see some of my favorites, take a look at: http://www.slideshare.net/solvt/agility-quotes-photo-of-the-month

5. Claire says:
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 9:17pm

Paraphrasing Lanny Basham- “You will beat 100% of the people who didn’t show up.” Persistence isn’t a very “sexy” attribute, but without it, we are at the mercy of brilliance… and few of us can pull THAT out of our sleeves on a regular basis!

6. Kim Collins says:
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 1:56pm

Ok one of my favorites…..

“Eighty Percent of success is showing up”
    Woody Allen (I think)

And ALL of coach Wooden’s Pyramid of Success!!! Lots of great quotes there.

7. Pam says:
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 1:15pm

Mahatma Ghandi said, “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

8. Cheryl Whynot says:
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 9:37am

Hi Susan,

Here is a saying that has stuck with me ever since my grade seven soccer coach said it to me. And yes I’m not going to tell you how many decades ago that was!!!

If you sit too long on the back of the bus you begin to think that you belong there. Get off the bus if you want to succeed….

Basically what he was saying was- you can ride around on the bus thinking that everyone else is going to get you to where you want to go, but, someday you will realize that it is truely not where you wanted to be. You were just too lazy to stand up and get off the bus. So, if you have a dream or a vision of what and where you want to be you have to be the one that gets your self there not any one else. Don’t blame everyone else for the lack of your success if you are not willing to get off the bus.
    Sometimes when everything is going wrong or nothing seems to be right- I get off the bus…

9. Merry maloney says:
    Monday, May 18, 2009 at 6:07pm

Here are a couple of my favorites for your list…

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except the very best.” ~ Henry Van Dyke

Thank you for your blog. I have learned SO much…Merry

10. Emily says:
    Monday, May 18, 2009 at 3:21pm

Think higher, feel deeper. – Elie Wiesel

This quote really captures my view on life and how life should be tackled. I am not a complicated person, I like straight forward instructions. This is it- always keep learning and searching for new ways to do things and love everything (family, sports, dogs, other people, work etc) more than you currently do, find passion where you never thought it could be. Do those two things and you are set.

11. Gail says:
    Monday, May 18, 2009 at 2:32pm

I love these!!!
    Here are a few of my fav’s:

*Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away. -Anonymous

*It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan

*Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. -Stephen Hawking

*The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -Mohandas Gandhi

*Animals are my friends… and I don’t eat my friends. -George Bernard Shaw

***********************************************

Albert Einstein was one of my favorites. Here’s a few of his that I like the best:

*Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

*The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

*We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

*If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. (I always think of “A” as “Agility” & it’s quite appropriate! Great agility is the combination of hard work, lots of play & usually keeping your mouth shut!)

12. Kila says:
    Monday, May 18, 2009 at 1:29pm

I almost pulled my dog from competition as I allowed myself to be intimidated by the BIS dogs I knew would be entered in our National Specialty Best in Veteran Sweeps class one year. I decided to go for it, and we ended up winning against those BIS dogs. As Michael Jordan says, (and I try hard to remember): “You’ll always miss 100% of the shots you never take.”

13. Laurel and Maggie says:
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:03pm

Susan I remember best the one you shared at the workshops in Vancouver and have taken it to heart

If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.

14. Kelly says:
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 6:34pm

“Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid.” Basil King

15. Joan Krochko says:
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:29am

For work:
    “Focus short, plan long (and never try to do both at the same time).”
    Short-term success/productivity requires focus, long-term success/productivity requires a plan.

When I train my reactive ADHD dog:
    “It’s just you and me, babe” 🙂

-Joan

16. JeannieB says:
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 9:04am

Some of my faves:

“Success is not about the destination,
    but the Journey to get there”

“Ability is what you’re capable of doing,
    Motivation determines what you do,
    Attitude determines how well you do it”

“Life is 10% what happens to you,
    and 90% how you respond to it”

17. Nanci Tayler says:
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 9:33pm

“Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they’re yours.” Richard Bach

18. marianne montague says:
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 4:00pm

Nelson Mandella’s Inaugural speech

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. YOur playing small doesn’t serve the world…We were born to make manifest the glory of god that is within us… And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

19. Lynda Orton-Hill says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 7:20pm

Patience is not a sign of weakness or failure…Lance Armstrong

20. Ann Hopp says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 6:44pm

Violence begins where knowledge ends- Ghandi
    You are what you think you are-Buddha

21. Lisa says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 5:53pm

“It’s not what’s in front of you that blocks your way, it’s what’s inside of you that holds you back” ~ Robin Williams

22. Janna says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 5:42pm

I decided to have that first Zig Ziglar quote tattooed inside my eyelids.

Right below that is:
    “Aim high. You may not hit your target, but at least you won’t shoot your foot off.” -Elli Quinn
    (Michelangelo via Lois McMaster Bujold)

and

Your training attitude should always be, ‘it’s you and me, dog, against the world.’
    –Dana Mackenzie

23. Fiona Hodgson says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 4:21pm

Cool subject and great quotes – Here are a couple of my favourites:

Michelangelo:
    The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.

Vince Lombardi:
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you’re willing to pay the price.

Ursula K. LeGuin:
    It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.

24. denise says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 3:30pm

“Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes” – Oscar Wilde

“Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success” – Dale Carnegie

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment” – Buddha

25. Susan in Spain says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 3:18pm

There are some great quotes from everyone, certainly gives food for thought.

One that I like; though sadly I have no reference to who originally quoted it:
    “You cannot change the wind, but you can adjust the sails”

26. Sarah says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 3:09pm

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” -Abraham Lincoln
    “In dog training, ‘jerk’ is a noun, not a verb.” -Dr. Dennis Fetko

Thanks Susan!

27. Tracy says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 2:19pm

People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care. -John C. Maxwell

People may forget what you said, they may forget whay you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel. -Anon.

You don’t have the have the lead, if you have the heart to come from behind. -Anon.

28. Kandy says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 12:38pm

This one has suck with me for some time.

Idid what I knew when I knew better I did better.
    Maya Angelou.

29. Andrea says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 12:01pm

This year we started an employee recognition program at my work and when we were looking at certificates these were a few of my favourites;

“Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.”

“Some people dream of worthy accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them.”

“A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst…a spark that creates extraordinary results.”

“Teamwork is the ability to work toward a common vision. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.”

30. lenekristin says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 11:16am

“knowledge forced upon you, will not be your soul’s tangible possession” Plato

“The man who makes everything that leads to happiness depends upon himself, and not upon other men, has adopted the very best plan for living happily.” Plato

Thank you for sharing!

31. Jan V says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 11:03am

A few simple quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

“There is a crack in everything God has made” (i.e. don’t expect perfection)

“Our strength grows out of our weakness”

“The simplicity of nature is not that which may be easily read, but is inexhaustible”

“Our intellectual and active powers increase with our affection”

32. Brenda says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 10:00am

I’ve always collected quotes too – here’s my current favorite:

“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
    – Mahatma Gandhi

33. teri says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:32am

These are great! Thanks for sharing.

34. Michelle says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 8:53am

“Excuses give you a reason to be mediocre, while challenges give you a reason to find a solution.” – Susan Garrett

35. Mikey says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 8:36am

Here’s two of my favs:

“Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be.”
    Carrie, Sex in the City

When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you’ve growled all day long. (old proverb)

I have a database of quotes at work, and I’ve added yours to it, thanks! I use it as a “fortune” when our folks log in for the day. They love it! With your help, I’m now at 250 fortunes. Yay!

36. John M. says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 8:09am

“Be bold and courageous. When you look back at your life you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did.” -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

37. Jen says:
    Friday, May 15, 2009 at 7:17am

Here are some of my favorites:

I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become. Carl Jung

Sometimes you find a good path you would have never found without walking down the wrong one. Paul Storiale

If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you. Author unknown