Impressive Dog Training

Posted on 04/01/09 20 Comments

It takes alot to impress me but this video taken in the 1950’s sure did.

Today I am grateful for vintage video like this one, it really is inspiring!

1. Eraine Spencer says:
    Friday, April 3, 2009 at 8:03pm

This movie had me awe struck, this man was truly before his time. I only hope I can train my dogs to do such awesome behaviors and be that happy to work with me!! You can tell they just live for him. Im always looking for new group tricks to teach my pack of border collies, these ideas will keep us busy for years! Im not even sure where to start training them, that greyhound was AMAZING! I have never seen one so well trained. Thank you Susan! Im going to share this with all my friends!!

2. Barbara says:
    Friday, April 3, 2009 at 8:42am

I love the way he puts his hat over his heart. Also, I’m crazy about those dogs putting themselves to bed.

3. Dog Trainer Finder says:
    Friday, April 3, 2009 at 8:08am

Just amazing. It jsut goes to show that time and patience and not just modern techniques are important when dealing with dog training.

4. Andrea says:
    Friday, April 3, 2009 at 6:01am

Wow. Aussies Rock!

Thanks for sharing Susan!! We all got a kick out of this!

5. Gillian Self says:
    Friday, April 3, 2009 at 4:42am

I have only recently been following your blog (from Australia) and have been convinced to try the 2×2 weaves with my young dog (and my first ever puppy). I have a concern though. Billy my young dog loves to tug when I’m attached to it but shows little interest in going after it and playing. So I worked on this and play games etc and now he will but only for probably 5 repetitions before he loses interest in going after it. He hasn’t lost interest in tugging because if I (rarely) pick it up he is full on ready to tug. So I feel this is a bit of a detriment to working effectively on the 2×2. Any suggestions on getting more interest in going out to retrieve the toy would be welcomed.

Thank you for all the time you put in to making us better trainers!!

6. Shannon says:
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:55pm

That was awesome! Now I have to go teach some of that great stuff, thanks for posting that!

7. claudia estanislau says:
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:14am

WOW :O

8. Anne says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 9:14pm

I’ve seen this video before, and am still amazed by it. I think Sisler was one of those trainers who just inherently knew how to get the most out of his dogs, without having much in the way of a formal understanding of training. Truly inspiring! I especially love how happy the dogs look to be working with him.

9. Harmony says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 5:31pm

Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of why I am so passionate about dogs and what they can do.

10. Sarah says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 4:31pm

I loved the wind up toy!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing………

11. Katie says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 4:23pm

That’s really cool! All you have to do now is teach Encore and Feature to play leap frog over one another. What interesting ideas for tricks, and what radical ideas for the 50’s!

12. Ann Hopp says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 2:19pm

Besides being totally awed by Sisler, I thought I detected a few good teeter games and rear end awareness exercises )c-

13. Rascal's Trainer says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 1:03pm

Very cool. I love it so much. I know that I will work on some of these tricks. It’s even more cool that I own an Aussie to do it with. He looks like a great dog trainer. In my mind, He’s the Roy Rogers of the dog world.

14. ellenspn says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 9:20am

Those dogs are some of the foundation of the Australian Shepherd breed. And Aussies have no problems doing things on two legs 😀

15. Jean Emery says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 8:29am

Love it. Thank you Susan.

I looked Jay Sisler up. He’s very interesting and his training methods will sound familiar to your followers:

16. Christine McPhee says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:44am

Wow. My favorite part was seeing some of the dog offering behaviours in the background while he worked with the others. Very cute.

17. amanda says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:13am

18. Lynne Brubaker says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 5:53am

Unbelievable, I laughed until I cried! AND THEY ARE AUSSIES!!!!

19. denise says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 5:51am

AMAZING!! I love the part where they put themselves to bed.

20. Kim says:
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 5:42am

Amazing!!! I missed not having a training tip waiting for me in my inbox this morning!! Thanks so much for doing those!!